The One Ronnie Page 3

It was unusual to see Milton Jones' name in the writing credits...

Quote: Tim Azure @ December 27 2010, 7:33 PM GMT

I was more surprised when I heard that Ben Elton was a writer. Though that's mainly because I didn't think he did this kind of stuff anymore.

Quote: His Own Devices @ December 27 2010, 11:30 PM GMT

I was more surprised when I heard that Ben Elton was a writer. Though that's mainly because I didn't think he did this kind of stuff anymore.

He never did this kind of stuff.

He used to be good.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 27 2010, 11:32 PM GMT

He never did this kind of stuff.

He used to be good.

I meant writing comedy in general, not just like this. I thought maybe he moved on to more serious stuff of possibly retired.

Quote: His Own Devices @ December 27 2010, 11:30 PM GMT

He doesn't. I was at the recording. Ben Elton had come from Australia
and was watching from the green room. RC got him to come on stage near the end
to show his face.

On the night, RC recorded the intro, the sketches with Harry Enfield, Catherine Tate, the monologue (you can see me in the audience cutaway shots for this - I'm on the second row) the gameshow and the "Parkinson" chat show.

At the start of the gameshow sketch, RC had to walk on with his shiny suit and toupe, skip down a flight of steps and then up onto the podium where he stood to ask the questions. The first time he did this, he went too far and ended up flat on his face the other side of the podium. There was a half second silence, where it wasn't clear if this was a joke or an accident. I know that he used to suffer from poor balance when he was walking on stage, from anxiety (for instance when The Two Ronnies had a show at the Palladium). I don't know if this was a simple stumble or if it was a symptom of that problem.

On the first run-through Beyoncé was pronounced Beyonce :-)

The other sketches were pre-recorded, as was Charlotte Church. There was a recording of Miranda on at the same time. When I was in a queue to go in, Miranda Hart walked past, presumably having come from the green room for The One Ronnie onto the studio for her recording.

Ronnie Corbett had an autocue for all the bits where he was speaking. He has always been a comic actor, rather than a stand up comedian or a writer of comedy. His skill is in interpreting scripts and delivering them. He's perfectly capable of telling a story without an autocue, but with one, he will be more accurate.

Quote: His Own Devices @ December 28 2010, 2:21 PM GMT

I meant writing comedy in general, not just like this. I thought maybe he moved on to more serious stuff of possibly retired.

Yes, it was a perfectly reasonable comment. :)

Missed this. Going to watch it tonight on iPlayer.

Quote: ahenry @ December 28 2010, 8:40 PM GMT

At the start of the gameshow sketch, RC had to walk on with his shiny suit and toupe, skip down a flight of steps and then up onto the podium where he stood to ask the questions. The first time he did this, he went too far and ended up flat on his face the other side of the podium. There was a half second silence, where it wasn't clear if this was a joke or an accident. I know that he used to suffer from poor balance when he was walking on stage, from anxiety (for instance when The Two Ronnies had a show at the Palladium). I don't know if this was a simple stumble or if it was a symptom of that problem.

On the first run-through Beyoncé was pronounced Beyonce :-)

That must have been great to see being recorded, Ronnie seems to fall over quite often, he did it on that Peter Kaye video too didn't he?

He is so cute though really enjoyed the show, I really liked the sketch with Richard Wilson, the whole show was a lovely homage to a comedy great.

Quote: Tim Azure @ December 27 2010, 7:33 PM GMT

Why, did he not write anything in the show?

Didn't get much but then I wasn't expecting much. Didn't help that they used up the best sketch (Blackberry) in adverts and previews. I think the most disappointing parts were the sketches that were less funny revisions of Two Ronnies classics. The source of the pub sketch for instance is funny because it plays with the range of English language. We lost that in favour of a dead joke about Tate butting in before Corbett could finish. There was a chuckle here or there but it was basically just a tribute show that allowed a few modern comics to interact with one of their inspirations. Shame that having so many together didn't yield something more consistently funny.

I only saw about half of it - the second half - but as I liked The Two Ronnies I enjoyed what I saw.

However I can understand if people who've never watched that found it a bit dated.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 29 2010, 1:38 AM GMT

Why, did he not write anything in the show?

Yes, but I wouldn't necessarily know that, would I? He's usually a radio writer or a stand up.

Quote: Tim Azure @ December 30 2010, 10:01 PM GMT

Yes, but I wouldn't necessarily know that, would I? He's usually a radio writer or a stand up.

I think he writes some jokes for Not Going Out occasionally.

He was indeed a contributor to Series 3.

I enjoyed watching The One Ronnie. Always been a big fan of Ronnie Corbett. A true comedy legend.

Didn't know Richard Wilson was going to be on it.