A Debate. Che Guevara

I cant help it I am obsessed.

Having had the time to read a book of 800 pages as I was suning myself to a crisp, I have becoming fascinated with this man.

It all started about 5 months ago. My eldest son was down my local with me for an open mike night. One of the performers had a T. shirt with the beautiful face of this iconic man. Kyle asked me who he was.
"Well Son thats Che Guevara" I replied.
"Who is he he" enquired.
"Why Son he was a revoloutionary I exclaimed. Then Kyle my son who is trying out for the Armed Forces as I type,(silly sod)asked me this question. "Well mum, what did he do"?

There I drew a blank. How embarrasing is that. I knew he had something to do with Fidel Castro. I knew he was a guerilla and an Argentinian but that was it.

Luckily for me, we have a very posh cinema in our town. It is called 'The Rex'. It is atually quite famous. Anyhoo 2 tickets were available at this cinema for the 'Motorcycle Diaries'. I went to see it with my man. It will have to go down as one of the greatest films ever for me. Still it did not tell me about this mans life as a revoloutionary. Hence the £16 on the book.

Anyhoo, I now know a bit more about this fella, I can talk to my son without shrinking with lack of knowledge and he is now reading the book.

I am posting this thread as a) I would like others views on him and b) I am asking if anyone else has ever been inspired to find out more about someone or something.

Sorry if i am boring you but like I have admitted, I AM OBSESSED.

Che Guevara was a dude but like most communist regimes it went sour and he was killed by Castro (thats what I think anyway). My favorite historical character is Giuseppe Garibaldi, he really was a dude and yes the biscuit is named after him.

Yey! AJP. That fella is next on my list to read about.

Also I must add that a huge film is coming out in 2008 about this man called

Guerrilla staring Benicio del Toro. I cant wait. Woo!!

If people from history are so good, then why are they all dead?

I didn't know much about him, he was just that picture to me.

I can't think of anyone?

I'd like to read Jesus's Biography, not in the spiritual sense, but more from a historical way.

'Cos he did exist.

It fascinates me how much one man's ideas can cause so much shit for 2000 years.

LOL...Well Leevil, you can either Purchase Jon Lee Andersons book, or wait untill the film comes out, which will be very cool but very Americanised I am afraid. Or you can stick with that Jesus fella. The one whos biography was written by a bunch of fabulous & imaginative story tellers.

I am sticking to Che like glue. It is remarkable how a small amount of peeps can change history. All with a bit of talk and a lot of action.

OK Che Rance, I'll wait for the movie.

I ain't religious, but religious history does fascinate me, but unfortunately in the same kind of fascination people have with the Bush Tucker Trials things from I'm a Celeb.

LOL. I used to say i was 'Agnostic' now i have to say I am 'Atheist'. Religion fascinates me too, so I know where you are coming from there. My Che was not religious in the slightest. Good ol'Che. I love him you know. I really do.

I was fascinated with Bruce Lee at one point.

And I'm keen to learn about Japan and it's history, I have a weird calling for Japan. (I know Bruce is Chinese btw.)

Didn't Che try to fight in Bolivia. I think that anybody that goes to kill people in another country is either mad or an American president (or a British PM).

Quote: charley rance @ May 28, 2007, 2:21 PM

I am posting this thread as a) I would like others views on him and b) I am asking if anyone else has ever been inspired to find out more about someone or something.

a) Dirty Commie.
b) Almost certainly. Constantly, in fact.

Quote: Aaron @ May 28, 2007, 4:23 PM

a) Dirty Commie.

:O :O :O You take that back Mr.
Well it is true but I dont like it.

Well actualy dirty can be rude so ok, you can keep it.

I’m Sorry Charley, I know nothing of this fellow your going on about.

Your clearly sober, I will log back in, in the early hours for more tales of your good friend Jack Danny.

Lovely smiley picture BTW shame it didn’t make it to your avatar.

PS sorry for lowering the tone.

Barry. I love tones lowered. You know that eh!

Benicio Del Toro, eh?
Niiice.

Is he playing him....?!? I guess not. Although, I don't even know how old he was when he died.

I can't really separate Che Guevara from Gael Garcia Bernal at the moment.

I suddenly thought - what a good idea for a sitcom - a Revolutionary.

Then I remembered good old Wolfie Smith. "Freedom for Tooting".

I think they should really have freedom FROM Tooting - the place that is because it really is a sh*thole.