What are you listening to now? Page 294

Quote: zooo @ July 20 2008, 8:31 PM BST

There are some bands doing something different, I'm sure. They're just not in the mainstream so you have to work hard finding them.

I'd like to think you're right. :)

Quote: zooo @ July 20 2008, 8:31 PM BST

There are some bands doing something different, I'm sure. They're just not in the mainstream so you have to work hard finding them.

Yeah, if all you hear is Take That and The Kaiser Chiefs, then you're going to think things seem a bit insipid. The most prominant artists, the ones that would appear most on TV and radio, are probably never going to be the most boundry pushing or inventive. I don't think its a snobby thing to point out that blandness sells. I'm not immune, I own Coldplay records. And Kaiser Chiefs. I even picked up a Girls Aloud album for a pound once.

Is it possible to be inventive in music anymore?

Quote: DaButt @ July 20 2008, 8:33 PM BST

I know several (somewhat) famous musicians and every one of them is more concerned about people hearing their music than the dollars and cents of the music industry. Certainly they want to make a living, but they still give away entire albums' worth of music on their websites because they're excited about it and want to share it with their fans.

How much does a newspaper pay a band to distribute their CD? Just curious.

Im not saying don't give it away free if you want, just that doing it through a newspaper, like McFly, or like Prince did, just feels wrong.

Quote: catskillz @ July 20 2008, 8:22 PM BST

Eh? Name 5 black British singers/groups who get regular play on Radio 1.

My Nigger Bredrin lineups 1-5?

Quote: DaButt @ July 20 2008, 8:33 PM BST

How much does a newspaper pay a band to distribute their CD? Just curious.

I think someone quoted about £250,000 for Prince who recently gave away his album with the same paper.

Giving an album away with a paper feels tacky because you're forcing something on people. Anyone who makes a decision to buy the paper has the CD forced upon them. Likewise anyone who buys the CD has the paper forced upon them. You can't really get away from one form of advertising or another.

Quote: Winterlight @ July 20 2008, 8:36 PM BST

Is it possible to be inventive in music anymore?

Yes I think so. But not inventive AND commercially successful, it seems.

Aaron just dropped the N- bomb!

Surely that's against site rules? Due to the historical connotations attached to the word.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 20 2008, 8:35 PM BST

I even picked up a Girls Aloud album for a pound once.

I really hope that was just to use the pictures.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 20 2008, 8:38 PM BST

Yes I think so. But not inventive AND commercially successful, it seems.

Name some bands who have been inventive in the last 10 years!

Quote: Winterlight @ July 20 2008, 8:38 PM BST

Aaron just dropped the N- bomb!

Surely that's against site rules? Due to the historical connotations attached to the word.

He can justify it's use.

As I can justify use of this here cattle prod on those young boys locked in my cellar.

Quote: Winterlight @ July 20 2008, 8:38 PM BST

Name some bands who have been inventive in the last 10 years!

Arcade Fire?*

*There might be some bias here because I really, really love them.

Quote: zooo @ July 20 2008, 8:38 PM BST

I really hope that was just to use the pictures.

Yes, of course.(Sings "You cant mistake my biology . . ")

White Stripes are quite inventive.

I like Arcade Fire, but I wouldn't say they pushed the boundaries. Indie folk rock just didn't get noticed that much until they came along.