What are you listening to now? Page 1,353

NSFW

Death In Vegas - Hands Around My Throat

You like your electronic stuff,George.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.:)

Quote: john tregorran @ 4th February 2020, 12:32 AM

You like your electronic stuff,George.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.:)

I thought you dabbled and dipped your toe in there too? The new Thom Yorke, the Chromatics stuff I posted, New Order. Erm, Massive Attack. Or was it just the Grid and Death In Vegas tracks? Death In Vegas are new to me and I think they're ace.

The Grid and DIV are too electronic for me.The others I don't find very electronic at all :)

Quote: john tregorran @ 4th February 2020, 2:25 AM

The Grid and DIV are too electronic for me.The others I don't find very electronic at all :)

Yes, I suppose a banjo does rather take electronic over the limit. ;)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 2nd February 2020, 9:52 PM

Knew that about Bolan, Bowie, Alvin and Gary Glitter, but not about Mr. Essex.

In his early teens, one of his holiday jobs was working at a fun fair which may be part of why he loved mixing theatre and music later in his life. By the mid 1960s, in his late teens, Essex had joined a band called the Everons as the drummer and during the day he worked in a factory. He later left the band, became a singer and renamed himself David Essex. It was the time when British rock 'n' roll was riding high.
By the late 1960s, he was recording with Decca Records, as well as working for other labels. Unfortunately, his first ten singles flopped and, feeling disheartened, Essex switched to acting. He went through a demanding time of working in small theatre productions, whilst earning a living driving trucks and cleaning windows. His wife, Maureen, was pregnant and Essex was beginning to feel somewhat overwhelmed by his responsibilities.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th February 2020, 9:32 PM

In his early teens, one of his holiday jobs was working at a fun fair which may be part of why he loved mixing theatre and music later in his life. By the mid 1960s, in his late teens, Essex had joined a band called the Everons as the drummer and during the day he worked in a factory. He later left the band, became a singer and renamed himself David Essex. It was the time when British rock 'n' roll was riding high.
By the late 1960s, he was recording with Decca Records, as well as working for other labels. Unfortunately, his first ten singles flopped and, feeling disheartened, Essex switched to acting. He went through a demanding time of working in small theatre productions, whilst earning a living driving trucks and cleaning windows. His wife, Maureen, was pregnant and Essex was beginning to feel somewhat overwhelmed by his responsibilities.

Interesting. Thanks! So it looks like some of the film "That'll Be The Day" was autobiographical. From memory, I thought it was written by Ray Connolly, but sounds like he used elements from David's life.

Are any of those 10 singles that flopped worth hearing?

Quote: George Kaplan @ 4th February 2020, 9:55 PM

Interesting. Thanks! So it looks like some of the film "That'll Be The Day" was autobiographical. From memory, I thought it was written by Ray Connolly, but sounds like he used elements from David's life.

Are any of those 10 singles that flopped worth hearing?

No idea!:)

I like that.Thanks to good old google I know something about him now too :)

Quote: john tregorran @ 5th February 2020, 7:25 PM

I like that.Thanks to good old google I know something about him now too :)

I'm into similar stuff like Songhoy Blues, Imarhan (who I saw live in 2018), Tinariwen, and the gentler Ali Farka Toure, but didn't know him either till yesterday, but have listened to loads since and it's all good.

btw sent you a PM.

My first pot luck pick.Very nice.

Quote: john tregorran @ 6th February 2020, 3:35 AM

The Master. Still going strong and performing regularly.

:)