What are you listening to now? Page 1,292

What I am listening to now:

Led Zeppelin 1 : f**king loud...

I need it, I deserve it... worked my nuts off all day and all evening, too, just about to take the hour plus long journey home and then get up again at f**king 5am. No swearing aloud.

Proverbs 28
The wicked flee when none pursueth... yes, how true this is, the Old Testicle has got a lot of good stuff in it.. oh, yes.

Pirate Broken heart Ill Sleepy

People always say how unlucky Pete Best was, but they don't appreciate HOW unlucky. Getting kicked out of the Beatles in 1962 is bad enough, but getting kicked out AND replaced by Ringo...

Actually Michael, I can step in here...

The Beatles actually wanted to get a Spangled Drongo to replace Pete Best but Brian Epstein misheard John and Paul (it was quite loud in The Cavern club, to be fair to 'Eppy') and so he went off and found the Starr spangled (many ringed) Ringo.

So there you are you see, 'a bit of inside knowledge' and we get to the root.. nothing like getting to the root.. (as you know..)

Er, okay, as you were .. :)

Funnily enough I'm listening to The Beatles first album as we post, 'Please, Please Me'...

'Anna, you come and ask me, girl..'

The White Album is awesome.
The funniest thing is how every review feels the need to point out exactly why it became known as 'The White Album'. I think I coulda got there meself.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 27th February 2018, 2:11 PM

The White Album is awesome.

Your jokes are like the curate's egg, but your taste in music is faultless. :)

Nothing like some uplifting Swedish 90s pop on a sunny day like today. It was snowing earlier but now the sunshine is drying my washing and this just played on the radio. In off the red.

Ace Of Base - Life Is A Flower

Watching Back In Time for Tea earlier this evening - OMG sitting here now with a very tight white suit on and big wedgies.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th February 2018, 2:54 PM

...but your taste in music is faultless. :)

Mr HGT, so pleased to know YOUR taste in music includes The Beatles ... with the HGT 'monicker' I already knew YOUR taste in comedy was impeccable!
:)

And now, I am listening to Procul Harum ...

'Conquistador your stallion stands in need of company...'

Quote: Frankie Mildly Perturbed @ 28th February 2018, 2:55 AM

Mr HGT, so pleased to know YOUR taste in music includes The Beatles ... with the HGT 'monicker' I already knew YOUR taste in comedy was impeccable!
:)

"I was there", in the Spring of '63 when they came to our town. I must confess I had gone with me bird primarily to see Roy Orbison who was the headline act, and was massive at that time; but was sold on The Beatles (**from what I could hear of them!!), and I seem to remember that they then went super massive and then became the headline act by the end of the tour.

** The screaming from the girl fans was deafening and incessant, and didn't stop from the moment they came on the stage. Never experienced anything like it before or after with other tours.

Still have the programme, which my daughter wants when I pop me clogs as she too is a big Beatles fan, and she came with me, and me bird/now wife, when we went to see the Bootleg Beatles who were brilliant and gave a superb flavour of the times.

Ah, happy days. :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th February 2018, 2:54 PM

Your jokes are like the curate's egg, but your taste in music is faultless. :)

Another Spice Girls fan! Awesome!

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 28th February 2018, 4:26 PM

Another Spice Girls fan! Awesome!

Now you've gone and spoilt it, besides I don't think you are into them (or like to be) for their singing.

I went to both the Beatles and the Stones.
The scream levels were the same and the only difference was that you could hear Bill Wyman's bass.

These are new to me and sound very Joy Division.

Editors
All Sparks

https://youtu.be/6x26O237kP8

I listed to a lot of Kinks today. I really, really love "Arthur."

I just watched this video about 5 times while thinking about how much I miss/loved The Fiery Furnaces, and then I realized that she looks a bit like my ex-wife (30 years ago.) Now I'm conflicted.

Quote: Bill Poster @ 1st March 2018, 12:32 AM

I went to both the Beatles and the Stones.
The scream levels were the same and the only difference was that you could hear Bill Wyman's bass.

:D

These are new to me and sound very Joy Division.

Editors
All Sparks

https://youtu.be/6x26O237kP8

They made a fairly big splash in the UK at the time. First two albums were good. Have faded since then. Put on a good live show when I saw them a few years ago. Have a new album out next week.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/editors/violence/

btw not seen Wigwam Willy, another Aussie who used to post on this thread, for a while. A shame.

Quote: DaButt @ 1st March 2018, 4:18 AM

I listed to a lot of Kinks today. I really, really love "Arthur."

Kinks are one of my favourites too, as you might have noticed in the "Let's All Play A Game" thread. "Arthur" is very good. The covers album Ray did, "See My Friends", get some stick on RYM, but has some fun moments. He's still good live too - if you don't mind the audience joining in on the big hits.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ray_davies/see_my_friends/

Quote: DaButt @ 1st March 2018, 4:18 AM

I just watched this video about 5 times while thinking about how much I miss/loved The Fiery Furnaces...

That's decent. I don't know The Fiery Furnaces at all. Can you rec me a few tracks please.

There seem to be quite a few good indie female solo artists around right now - Courtney Barnett, Sharon Van Etten, Waxahatchee. Jane Weaver.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th February 2018, 11:27 PM

Now you've gone and spoilt it, besides I don't think you are into them (or like to be) for their singing.

You can't beat an old Spice Girls' B-side.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 1st March 2018, 1:48 PM

get some stick.

So did I when I heard about the Spice Girls.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 1st March 2018, 1:48 PM

They made a fairly big splash.

So did I when I heard about the Spice Girls.

Joy Division.

It always amuses me how every New Order article mentions JD. Most fans have been involved since the 80s, so it's noty really a scoop. I'd like to think it tells you something about JD's awesomeness, but I guess it tells you more about NO's meagreness. Good band but criminally overrated.

Two of my favourite LPs are 'The Beatles' and PIL's 'Flowers of Romance'. The strange thing is I didn't like either of them at first cos I was really young and they were so different from what I expected, ie. She Loves You and Anarchy in the UK respectively. Some albums take a while to get into but reward repeted listenings.