Justice for Bob Monkhouse

Is it just me or is Bob Monkhouse hilarious? I know he was perceived as the slimy chatshow host but check out his adults-only live vids... hilarious!

Never watched his live shows, but he always made me smile.

Fantastic performer. Saw a live performance which was amazing (Think it was an audience with!). At one point he did a piece where he linked all the women's names that were in the audience. He had some memory. I can't even remember my own phone number.

Bob was a true legend. Some great stuff, and Rosco's right; that Audience With was amazing. :)

Really must get my hands on some more of his material.

Quote: Rosco @ May 25, 2007, 12:52 PM

Fantastic performer. Saw a live performance which was amazing (Think it was an audience with!). At one point he did a piece where he linked all the women's names that were in the audience. He had some memory. I can't even remember my own phone number.

... Yeah that was definitely An Audience With. 'Live and Forbidden' is hilarious too.

Just occurred to me Michael. Are you related?

This is not the first time I've been asked this and the answer's no but yes. Bob was a distant relative of my STEPfather so my ultimate answer's no. However we both have moles and younger girlfriends and a razorsharp wit (me and Bob, not me and my stepfather).

Me ol' mum's band, back in her singing days, actually backed Bob at a gig somewhere. She said, not only was he brilliant but also the consummate gentleman.

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ June 1, 2007, 1:23 PM

Me ol' mum's band, back in her singing days, actually backed Bob at a gig somewhere. She said, not only was he brilliant but also the consummate gentleman.

Who is your mum - apart from being your mum?

Did she do lots of BIG stuff?

Scary Spice.

Possibly.

Was his book of jokes nicked?

Quote: David Chapman @ June 3, 2007, 12:13 AM

Who is your mum - apart from being your mum?

Did she do lots of BIG stuff?

Gad, no. They just had a decent agent who got them good gigs. I played with them for a while (when I first started with the bass) and we backed Mike Reid at the Starlight Rooms in London one time (twenty years ago - crikey!). One of those weird dinner/boxing things. Very 'East End'.

Quote: charley rance @ June 3, 2007, 3:43 AM

LOL!

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ June 3, 2007, 12:50 PM

Gad, no. They just had a decent agent who got them good gigs. I played with them for a while (when I first started with the bass) and we backed Mike Reid at the Starlight Rooms in London one time (twenty years ago - crikey!). One of those weird dinner/boxing things. Very 'East End'.

LOL!

They must have had a name.

Quote: charley rance @ June 3, 2007, 3:43 AM

It really was wasn't it and he offered an astronomical reward.

Quote: David Chapman @ June 3, 2007, 7:54 PM

They must have had a name.

Yes they did... a whole bunch of names over the years. Lemme see... there was:

Gold Dust
Grapevine
Sterling Selection

Don't laugh! They're all so 'dinner-dance/function' it's not true.

OK - I know loads of obscure bands but none of these ring a bell.