Skinny Latte

INT - STARBUCKS - DAY

A COUPLE ARE SITTING DRINKING COFFEE. IT'S A FIRST DATE.

GUY:
I don't like it when it's dark. I don't do dark

GIRL:
That's funny 'cos I don't like it when it's light. I don't do light.

GUY:
Weird! I don't do dark and you don't do light. Erm...(PAUSE) Will you marry me?

GIRL:
Yes darling, of course I will!

END

That's gone 'light' over my head, sorry, I'm in the 'dark' on this one.

Hi Leevil

I'll see if anybody gets it first or if it's too obscure. But to me it was fairly straight forward.

I personally didn't really "get it". Is the light and dark referencing to coffee (that would be the onlny reason it was set in Starbucks, I suppose).

Are they talking about what time of day to et married?

Quote: Leevil @ May 24, 2007, 4:46 PM

Are they talking about what time of day to et married?

No.

It's a comment about how many couples get together despite the warning signs being there right from the off.

Could be an age thing or maybe it's just not a good sketch

Ah well! Ho hum

Well I thought about that being their first date, but was thrown off course by Starbucks and the light and dark coffee.

Maybe others will get it.

:D

They hadn't even the most basic of things in common.

Maybe a bit ambiguous. The light and dark referred to daylight but I can see how it might have been misconstrued as referring to the coffee.

The perils of writing something off the cuff.

Maybe, if it has nothing to do with coffee, you should put it into a different setting. It might make it a bit more obvious. But, as it is now I think it's too subtle. Maybe you could put an ending on showing them falling apart and getting divorced.

EDIT: It's not major, but I don't really understand the title either.

I'm SO confused :(

MAN
Hello?

WOMAN
Hi.

SHE NOTICES HE'S WEARING A COLDPLAY T-SHIRT.

WOMAN
You like Coldplay?

MAN
Love 'em.

WOMAN
So do I, weird eh?

MAN
Sure is.

CUT TO:

WOMAN WALKING DOWN THE ISLE AS 'YELLOW' PLAYS IN THE BACKGROUND.

Skinny Latte is just setting the scene. Starbucks is the location for the sketch but it could be anywhere.

The idea is that perhaps couples should read the signs before deciding to spend the rest of their lives together. Too many seem to run blindly & impulsively towards the "Dream" only to end up with a "Nightmare"

And....errr! This really isn't working is it?

I want me Mummy Boo hoo!

As I've said before, I think it would be made clearer if you had a little extra scene at the end showing them getting divorced.

Hi Oddjob:

Brevity being the soul of wit and al that.

I'm trying to be minimalist too and seeing whether or not I can make the point without telegraphing (bloody hell that's an old expression) it.

Leevil

I like your idea but it shows them having something in common and the idea I'm playing with is to plant the seed that they are basically totally incompatible

I realise what you're trying to do, but, I'm not sure whether it's working. Maybe you should try using different dialogue, the light and dark is quite confusing, especially in a coffee shop.