Billy Connolly Page 5

Quote: NAVEB @ February 6 2012, 7:21 PM GMT

Maybe he's too embarrassed to re-use one of his more memorable early ripostes 'I know you - you're the one whose mouth bleeds every 28 days...'

Please stop. My sides are hurting. No, really. Please.

Just got in from the Wolves Civic gig and cooking some tea.

I'll post more thoughts tomorrow but, initially, disappointing and I'm a big fan from the TV shows/DVDs.

:|

I don't think he still enjoys it as much as he used to.
And he doesn't seem to be alone with that feeling.

In his prime he was a brilliant example of how good stand up can be.
No-one remembers Ali's last few fights, so I doubt he'll ruin his reputation by carrying on too long.
But perhaps he should have decided to rest on his laurels a few years back.

Spending more time at home with Pamela? You can se the attraction of touring...

Right.

First off I've read a couple of reviews that comment on his need to refer back to a piece of paper when he forgets what comes next . . bollocks!

In my view every second of that show is rehearsed to the Nth degree.

Years ago I used to believe that the time between the support act finishing and, say, Quo coming on was dependent on the roadies getting their act together.

Not so. Quo go on stage at 8.45. Not a minute later, not a minute sooner.

He made reference to going upstairs and half way forgetting why. Bill Bryson explained that much better years ago.

He says about articles commenting on his 'technique', that of wandering off the subject, going miles away and then suddenly returning in more or less the same place. He says that is natural . . bollocks! It might have been once but it's not now.

What it is is a carefully contrived 'technique' but one which, to me last night, got extremely irritating after a while.

One or two bits very good and funny but I can only assume that, certainly the one person behind me that laughed unceasingly, some people had never heard the material/style before.

As I said, I'm a big fan from TV and DVD days but last night was like seeing one of your idols live for the first time and being hugely let down.

I wouldn't mind betting that if I was at the show tonight, virtually every word would be the same whilst giving an impression of spontaneity.

I'll stick to the DVDs in future.

Quote: Oldrocker @ March 3 2012, 9:18 PM GMT

Right.

First off I've read a couple of reviews that comment on his need to refer back to a piece of paper when he forgets what comes next . . bollocks!

In my view every second of that show is rehearsed to the Nth degree.

To be fair, he's had plenty of time to go over the material since the bad reviews were published!

Quote: Aaron @ March 3 2012, 9:46 PM GMT

To be fair, he's had plenty of time to go over the material since the bad reviews were published!

They weren't bad reviews as such. Referring back to the paper only happened three or four times and it was built in (although subtly) as part of the 'I'm old, I can't remember' routine that pervaded the whole show.

The reviews I saw were by local hacks that he wouldn't have seen in any case.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th February 2012, 4:33 PM

(I'd consider a night out seeing Morrissey or Connolly pretty definitively ruined from the word go, but that's another discussion.)

Laughing out loud