Billy Connolly Page 4

I think Connolly's heart's just not in it anymore. He's been coasting for years with mediocre materials, thought he could make a couple of grand with a tour. His fans deserve more than having him storm out early because someone hurt his feelings.

Quote: AngieBaby @ February 4 2012, 3:28 PM GMT

I think Connolly's heart's just not in it anymore. He's been coasting for years with mediocre materials, thought he could make a couple of grand with a tour. His fans deserve more than having him storm out early because someone hurt his feelings.

True, but I reckon he deserves better than someone hurting his feelings.

He should just arrange that if you heckle you get ejected immediately. Then he doesn't get bothered by hecklers, and the audience doesn't get ripped off by him leaving the stage early.

Quote: zooo @ February 4 2012, 3:40 PM GMT

He should just arrange that if you heckle you get ejected immediately.

Agreed. Also immediate bans for anyone caught coughing or eating sweets.

Or those with weird laughs.

It's odd why anyone would spend a lot of money to see just one specific artist who they presumably enjoy and then behave like an utter arse. It's not like it's a few quid to see some unknown comics in a dingy bar falling flat with some tired observations. Like those idiots that caused Morrissey to walk out on his shows it's an expensive way to ruin a night out.

I suppose they must be drunk. Or just really, really, really stupid.

Obviously. Doesn't mean it's alright for c**ts like Connolly and Morrissey to compound the disturbance and definitively ruin the night for everyone else though.

(I'd consider a night out seeing Morrissey or Connolly pretty definitively ruined from the word go, but that's another discussion.)

"The curtailed shows follow reviews which criticised Connolly's two-hour set over his use of previously heard material."

Seems the audience had good cause to heckle/boo (call it what you will). With tickets at £35 a pop, Billy should be performing brand new material - not jokes he told on Aspel & Company, circa 1986.

Quote: Chappers @ February 4 2012, 12:34 PM GMT

They both played for Glasgow Rangers.

Gordon Ramsay was a trialist who claims cartilege injury ruined his chances of getting into the Rangers. Rangers FC say that he had never actually completed a trial with them in the first place, although I heard he kept complaining about the standard of the pies and bovril.

Sir Awex made the Rangers reserves but no place for him in the 1st team unless the Gers decided to dump the late great Colin Stein who played the same position. Ferguson had the brass neck to claim in his biography that he was kept in the second team because he was married to a Catholic. Rangers retorted that he was kept in the second team because; "We didnae have a third team."

Regards

Allan OB

Former sparring partner with World Boxing Champ Benny Lynch

Well my Dad knew his Dad's cousins neighbour who used to know somebody that saw him in a pub one night. Close enough.

Quote: AngieBaby @ February 4 2012, 3:28 PM GMT

Well he's nearly 70 now, so understandably a lot of the harder edge has gone. But doing not too badly for a bloke of that age. More a timely reminder of our own mortality methinks.

Quote: don rushmore @ February 5 2012, 7:20 PM GMT

"The curtailed shows follow reviews which criticised Connolly's two-hour set over his use of previously heard material."

Seems the audience had good cause to heckle/boo (call it what you will). With tickets at £35 a pop, Billy should be performing brand new material - not jokes he told on Aspel & Company, circa 1986.

Connolly's beef was that folks kept getting up to the bar and disrupting the flow of his and the audience's show. Such ignorance is the curse of stand-ups everywhere. We don't have bars in the middle of cinema theatres so why have them open during live performances in clubs etc?

As for repeat material, people go to see performers live regardless of what they heard before. I would give an inch off my willy to be able to see just once many many great comic artists live just so that I could tell folks; "Hey, I was there!"

Connolly or Ken Dodd, they are both doddering on a bit, and often repetitive as a stuck record. But kudos to both and those of their ilk for proving that not all 70 and 80 year olds are just gibbering old gits constantly trotted out on telly gameshows to be patronised and laughed at rather than laughed with.

Quote: Allan OB @ February 6 2012, 3:59 PM GMT

Connolly's beef was that folks kept getting up to the bar and disrupting the flow of his and the audience's show. Such ignorance is the curse of stand up's everywhere. We don't have bars in the middle of cinema theatres so why have them open during live performances in clubs etc?

The added irony is that the bar being open throughout is one of the annoying things about folk clubs (aside from all the other annoying things about folk clubs), and Connolly is one of the people who sprang from folk clubs.

I've never found him particularly funny --- all that corpsing at his own material is wearing, and in the end his material is rather lacking in variety. But he's competent, and somewhat amusing, and he was good in Still Crazy.

Maybe he's too embarrassed to re-use one of his more memorable early ripostes 'I know you - you're the one whose mouth bleeds every 28 days...'

Saw him over 10 yrs ago and personally always thought he was overated as a stand up. He's the only comic I've ever seen live that I couldn't remember a single joke from, normally you'd expect to remember a couple, at least, to re-tell to people.

I'm afraid I agree, he's a BOF now.

Saw Chubby Brown many years ago, mates dragged me along ( just swearing for an hour ain't funny after the first few minutes ), soon as he was heckled he walked off .. around 30 minutes into an hour+ set ... couldn't take what he gave out ... guess the big yin is the same.