Friday Night Dinner - Series 1 Page 12

Quote: Millsy @ March 29 2011, 12:46 PM BST

Why?

Isn't it obvious??

Quote: Millsy @ March 29 2011, 12:46 PM BST

Is the Dad a three-dimensional, believable character? Eats out of the bin, has a join the dots sex book and uses a magnifying glass to look at his penis in the front room from what I've seen.

Why would any of that make him not three dimensional or believable? Also, you haven't watched the show, as you say, only watching tiny snippets in the ads, and that being the case, a conversation about the merits or otherwise of a character in the show is completely pointless.

Paul Ritter who plays the dad is superb. Early contender for the 12th Doctor!

Anybody know if he's been in anything else of note?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 29 2011, 1:21 PM BST

Paul Ritter who plays the dad is superb.

Yes; best character in the show, a very funny creation.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 29 2011, 1:21 PM BST

Paul Ritter who plays the dad is superb. Early contender for the 12th Doctor!

Anybody know if he's been in anything else of note?

He's been in Harry Potter. Oh, and he was in a Bond film at the weekend.

Who was he in Harry Potter?

There's going to be a second series.

Quote: zooo @ March 29 2011, 2:15 PM BST

Who was he in Harry Potter?

Eldred Worple in the Half-Blood Prince.

Horay for second series.

I say YES to the second series.

Every episode consists of:

One of the boys spiking the other boy's drink

The strange neighbour turning up unannounced, followed by an awkward silence

Dad taking his shirt off, because hes hot

Dad making the joke that squirrel is for dinner

Dad tries to hide magazine collection

Dad comically mishearing a comment

A special guest visiting in some guise and accidentally being startled by salt in drink, Dad with top off, Dad mishearing, strange neighbour or any combination.

The End

I found this show hard work to sit through. One episode was enough. Contrived, silly, telegraphed jokes and oft just unbelievable. Am I surprised it's been recommissioned? No. Puerile & toilet humour comedy seems to be the way ahead at the moment.

I wouldn't really label this as puerile or toilet humour.

Well to be fair I only watched the first episode where the dad spent the whole show mysteriously staring at his penis with a magnifying glass and the brothers kept doing 'your mum' type jokes at each other, so I could be wrong. It may indeed have been a one off and grown up come episode two.

Quote: zooo @ March 30 2011, 5:39 PM BST

I wouldn't really label this as puerile or toilet humour.

You would be correct not to.

As I say, only saw one episode, final punchline in that was 'show us your cock dad' or something quite similar and the whole piece was based around dad staring at his penis. Call me old fashioned but that sounds, and was, pretty puerile to me. Horses for courses. The reviews are a very mixed bag but hey, Two Pints keeps batting on, so why not this one?

I'd say comparing this to Two Pints is pretty wide of the mark. They're really quite different shows.