What are the best funny sitcoms from 2000 - now? Page 4

Quote: David Smith @ June 21 2013, 5:28 PM BST

The Security Men

That was alright but there was a lot more better shows to choose from, David!

Shameless is a good one.

If it was a sitcom it would be a reasonable choice.

Mine are
The Office
My Family
The Vicar of Dibley
The Green Green Grass
The Inbetweeners
In with the Flynns
Gavin & Stacey

Quote: george roper @ June 22 2013, 8:46 PM BST

Mine are
The Office
My Family
The Vicar of Dibley
The Green Green Grass
The Inbetweeners
In with the Flynns
Gavin & Stacey

I'd probably agree with you on all them George, apart from My Family.

Me and Mrs Jones
Citizen Khan

Quote: David Smith @ June 23 2013, 8:35 PM BST

Me and Mrs Jones

That is quite literally the worst comedy show ever made!!! It was absolute tripe.

Was meaning to ask this myself. I'll list mine:
The IT Crowd
Alan Partridge
Black Books
Peep Show

Could someone help me with finding other sitcoms like Alan Partridge/IT Crowd/Black Books kinda humour? The latter two have a lot of Linnehan-esque surrealism infused into it, and I love it. Wonder if there are any other such sitcoms? I'm fairly sure I won't get any Alan Partridge kinda sitcoms I'd love.

Don't like Office, or the Inbetweeners, personally. Pure personal preference.

Quote: Maurice Moss @ June 24 2013, 6:55 PM BST

Was meaning to ask this myself. I'll list mine:
The IT Crowd
Alan Partridge
Black Books
Peep Show

Could someone help me with finding other sitcoms like Alan Partridge/IT Crowd/Black Books kinda humour? The latter two have a lot of Linnehan-esque surrealism infused into it, and I love it. Wonder if there are any other such sitcoms? I'm fairly sure I won't get any Alan Partridge kinda sitcoms I'd love.

Don't like Office, or the Inbetweeners, personally. Pure personal preference.

How about "How Not To Live Your Life", or "Dead Boss" - they can get quite off-the-wall? Or the "Dirk Gently" adaptation (not sitcom)? Or "Campus" (comedy-drama) which I was very unsure about for the first couple of episodes, but then took off magnificently.

Quote: George Kaplan @ June 24 2013, 8:52 PM BST

How about "How Not To Live Your Life", or "Dead Boss" - they can get quite off-the-wall? Or the "Dirk Gently" adaptation (not sitcom)? Or "Campus" (comedy-drama) which I was very unsure about for the first couple of episodes, but then took off magnificently.

OH yeah, forgot to mention HNTLYL! Was really funny - I'm not usually fond of sex comedies (or whatever that is), but this was really good. Right up my alley.

I'll check out the rest, TY :)

Quote: Maurice Moss @ June 25 2013, 5:47 AM BST

I'm not usually fond of sex comedies (or whatever that is), but this was really good. Right up my alley.

Snigger.

Quote: Aaron @ June 25 2013, 1:24 PM BST

Snigger.

Me too. Laughing out loud

Quote: Maurice Moss @ June 25 2013, 5:47 AM BST

OH yeah, forgot to mention HNTLYL! Was really funny - I'm not usually fond of sex comedies (or whatever that is), but this was really good. Right up my alley.

I'll check out the rest, TY :)

YW :)

As for more recent stuff since 2000, a few more popped into my head. I'm assuming you're already familiar with the World Champ and current Olympic record-holder for putting your foot in it aka Larry David and "Curb Your Enthusiasm", all 8 seasons worth?

Also, what about "Flight of the Conchords"? I love its laid-back pace and tone, but it can be hilarious at times too.

And then there's my personal favourite, and the thing I've loved most in the last ten years or so, "15 Storeys High" (2002). I hardly ever buy comedy DVDs, but I bought that (and some seasons of "Curb"). It's set in a flat in a tower block on a council estate and is pretty downbeat, but there are some lovely surreal touches and details. And it's bloody funny imo. The two flatmates, played by Sean Lock and Benedict Wong are a great double act, with Wong a tad reminiscent of Stan Laurel - if you remember him? ;)

BTW Maurice, just remembered that YouTube clip of the phone conversation you posted a while back, and sent it to my mate who teaches an MA in screenwriting so he can use it as a teaching aid to show his students. Great stuff! Laughing out loud

Quote: Aaron @ June 25 2013, 1:24 PM BST

Snigger.

I know right? :D This one's really odd, the rest of it had pretty much the same setup as the sitcoms I like. And Don's songs were epic :D

On the other hand, I can't just get myself to like everything else including the Inbetweeners.

Quote: George Kaplan @ June 25 2013, 1:54 PM BST

Me too. Laughing out loud

YW :)

As for more recent stuff since 2000, a few more popped into my head. I'm assuming you're already familiar with the World Champ and current Olympic record-holder for putting your foot in it aka Larry David and "Curb Your Enthusiasm", all 8 seasons worth?

Also, what about "Flight of the Conchords"? I love its laid-back pace and tone, but it can be hilarious at times too.

And then there's my personal favourite, and the thing I've loved most in the last ten years or so, "15 Storeys High" (2002). I hardly ever buy comedy DVDs, but I bought that (and some seasons of "Curb"). It's set in a flat in a tower block on a council estate and is pretty downbeat, but there are some lovely surreal touches and details. And it's bloody funny imo. The two flatmates, played by Sean Lock and Benedict Wong are a great double act, with Wong a tad reminiscent of Stan Laurel - if you remember him? ;)

BTW Maurice, just remembered that YouTube clip of the phone conversation you posted a while back, and sent it to my mate who teaches an MA in screenwriting so he can use it as a teaching aid to show his students. Great stuff! Laughing out loud

Curb Your Enthusiasm - well I'm not really into American sitcoms. Might give it a shot, but unlikely that I'd like it though. Really like 15 Storeys High - that's highly underrated.

I mostly like studio sitcoms BTW, with laugh tracks and all. Just like Aaron :)

And you're referring to the Patridge viddy, I presume? :)

Quote: Maurice Moss @ June 25 2013, 7:10 PM BST

Curb Your Enthusiasm - well I'm not really into American sitcoms. Might give it a shot, but unlikely that I'd like it though. Really like 15 Storeys High - that's highly underrated.

I mostly like studio sitcoms BTW, with laugh tracks and all. Just like Aaron :)

And you're referring to the Patridge viddy, I presume? :)

"Curb" isn't your typical American sitcom. Season/Series 3 might be a good starting point - lots of classic episodes - if you're willing to give it a try:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264235/episodes?season=3&ref_=tt_eps_sn_3

And Flight of the Conchords are from New Zealand and did a radio show for the BBC before they made their TV series for HBO.

The vid I was referring to was the "Best phone conversation in a feature film!!!" one you posted over in General Discussion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hroUeu4IvpE

Another friend I sent it to today has now circulated it among his writing buddies too. :)

Glad to hear we're in synch over "15 Storeys High". :D

Haha, yeah top stuff, that. Bloody! :D

Would check it out, thanks for the recommendation! :D