PhoneShop - Series 1 Page 2

He probably did a bit of a tweak on the script, but people promoting it said he worked on it, in order to get the show good figures.

Quote: Aaron @ September 5 2010, 5:52 PM BST

Yes, everyone knows. Doesn't make it any less a massive pile of shite though.

Have to agree. Watched it and thought it was really awful. Found it difficult to find anything funny about it. Lots of swearing for the 12 year olds. Just seems laboured, unfunny and implausible. You know, the usual.

Just watched it and there are several very obvious Gervais type situations.

The thing that made me laugh most was the constant references to Phone Shop, Sutton against Phone Shop, Croydon and I do love the stereotypical Phone Shop staff including the whites who speak with stronger Jamaican accents and attitudes than the blacks.

I'll give it a go - not least to see if I can see myself in the background.

I disliked the pilot of this so much that I doubt I'll bother with the series. There's enough good comedy about without 'filler'.

Haven't seen the show yet, but was rather taken aback by this clip which appears to show a character doing a pretty good Ricky Gervais impression. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PVbMBMiDKU

Blatant isn't it.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 7 2010, 1:20 PM BST

Haven't seen the show yet, but was rather taken aback by this clip which appears to show a character doing a pretty good Ricky Gervais impression. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PVbMBMiDKU

"Wankaholic"? I thought Him & Her was a dead cert for Worst Comedy of the Year, but this will have them worried!

How much is too much? Just curious... Whistling nnocently

Everyone knows the definitive office wanking scene has already been done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn6Z9djh8eA

Against my better judgement, I liked the door bit. But the rest was pointless, shallow and empty.

I don't really like it. I hear idiots talking rubbish with that accent all the time, I don't need it on TV too. :)
Plus I despise phone shops.

I'm not really the target audience.

There were a couple of good moments (but literally only about 2), but even then more 'appreciative' than funny. I certainly did not laugh. To continue zooo's point, if I wanted to hear people speaking and acting like that, I'd just go into Woolwich.

Unfunny, obnoxious and dull.

Quote: Aaron @ October 8 2010, 10:40 PM BST

There were a couple of good moments (but literally only about 2), but even then more 'appreciative' than funny. I certainly did not laugh. To continue zooo's point, if I wanted to hear people speaking and acting like that, I'd just go into Woolwich.

Unfunny, obnoxious and dull.

Or Croydon, or parts of Sutton.

Just watched first 10 minutes of this. Not funny in the least. In fact it was embarrassing. A live audience would be a big help (or even a half-asleep one).

Having seen the first episode of this and putting it down as just a show with a couple of guys doing annoying accents I decided to watch the second episode. Must say I thought it was a better effort than the first, and raised a few smiles (the date coaching scene and the email kisses thing in particular), and showed some tiny glimpses of promise. Wish the little Gary Patel character actually appeared rather than just being mentioned, already seems like the most interesting character without actually having any real screen time.

I'm probably more inclined to like this than most - being in the demographic they are seeming to target - early 20s and know quite a few people who, despite my constant mocking, talk in a similar accent to those guys. Having said that, the punchlines were telegraphed and you could see the 'twist' at the end coming from the first couple of scenes. Think that if they got another writer in or a decent script editor it could be a half decent show.

I was expecting it to be really rubbish based on the E4 ads.

I wouldn't say I was pleasantly suprised, but much better than I thought it was going to be.

Will give it another couple of episodes to develop.