Sherlock Page 85

I actually found a lot of that fairly tedious. Not enough drama and mystery; and like last week, seemed to take an age to get going to the actual mystery.

I preferred last week too. The mystery was weak and the complete about turn in Sherlock's character unbelievable. "Mary, I think you need to do a pregnancy test" was the icing on the cake of crapness.

I take it all back, tonight's episode was a big pile of steaming horse dung, it was like a bad parody of the original show.

Utter, utter, utter batshit. In a good way. And a bad way.

and this episode wasn't scifi, the wacky wedding speech got grating very quickly and was a pretty pointless device.

but there was a real mystery, with clues buried in the story so yeh good stuff.

About half way through I wondered where the hell it was all going. They managed to tie it all up rather neatly though, so I wasn't too disappointed. I guessed it was the photographer, though, as it wasn't well hidden.

From a writing point of view, this one was much more coherent and satisfying then the last one.

The flashbacks during the wedding speech were a nice way to keep it bopping along and in terms of character development it seemed to resonate more truthfully.

From a directorial point of view, also much tighter and more imaginative - the court room / Internet scene was very clever and the final shot of Sherlock leaving the party alone was very moving.

Criticisms: Once again the plot was sacrificed for the 'feels', the mystery was again tacked on, the photographer as killer was done in the film Manhunter (yet more theft)and just a boat load of filler that could have been cut as it had no impact whatsoever on the plot.

As I criticised in the British TV Critics are deluded thread, anytime the British are allowed to handle something fantastical, it soon becomes a kids show and unfortunately Sherlock now seems to be aimed squarely at Twilight fans. They're pandering to their target market rather then making meaningful drama, which financially is great for them, just that the rest of us have to suffer in the mean time.

Quote: Ben @ 5th January 2014, 10:11 PM GMT

About half way through I wondered where the hell it was all going. They managed to tie it all up rather neatly though, so I wasn't too disappointed. I guessed it was the photographer, though, as it wasn't well hidden.

It wasn't gripping me. Leant heavily on the wacky humour. I didn't feel the stakes as I didn't know what was supposed to be at stake. Probably my least favourite episode of Sherlock so far. Hopefully next weeks a belter.

The first 70 minutes were hard work. And too often it's in danger of suffocating under the weight of its own self-satisfaction.

I guessed it was the photographer, though, as it wasn't well hidden.

Me too. Enjoyed it though.

Quote: chipolata @ 5th January 2014, 10:17 PM GMT

The first 70 minutes were hard work. And too often it's in danger of suffocating under the weight of its own self-satisfaction.

Now that is true

That's like working out Thomas the Tank is a train.

It's the why and what that was the real mystery.

Really enjoyed that ep. Best one yet. Nothing wrong with something that's character led. Most of the Sherlock eps have been f**king tedious when there's been any actual plotting involved.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ 5th January 2014, 10:34 PM GMT

Really enjoyed that ep. Best one yet. Nothing wrong with something that's character led. Most of the Sherlock eps have been f**king tedious when there's been any actual plotting involved.

You see I found it the exact opposite, the character led bits, the Sherlock turned up to 11, the "wacky" humour, etc, all bored me to tears, when the actual plot/storyline turned up in the last 20 minutes I wasn't arsed anymore.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 5th January 2014, 10:40 PM GMT

You see I found it the exact opposite, the character led bits, the Sherlock turned up to 11, the "wacky" humour, etc, all bored me to tears, when the actual plot/storyline turned up in the last 20 minutes I wasn't arsed anymore.

This one's really split opinion. I'm not usually an admirer of Moffat/Gattis' work on Who or Sherlock. I was surprised to find so much dislike for this ep on here. And Twitter, where some people have been terribly upset by it!

I must confess to missing the first hour or so