Sherlock Page 77

Must admit, I'm still fuming over the V For Vendetta Tube bomb. When you consider that Sherlock Holmes is the creation of Arthur Conan Doyle in the first place, it's a massive piss take to copy and paste another author to make up for a lack of imagination.

It's like remaking Fawlty Towers and having Basil go to a gay musical called Gay.

Where can I get one of these cushy, cut and paste, steal everything and still be declared a genius writers jobs?

Quote: sootyj @ 1st January 2014, 11:51 PM GMT

DR/SHERLOCK
We're not gay, how amusing.

It's kinda a crappy trope.

And it doesn't even make sense in the context of John Watson and Mrs. Hudson, he's had several girlfriends in the series and even brought them to Baker Street.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 2nd January 2014, 12:10 PM GMT

Must admit, I'm still fuming over the V For Vendetta Tube bomb. When you consider that Sherlock Holmes is the creation of Arthur Conan Doyle in the first place, it's a massive piss take to copy and paste another author to make up for a lack of imagination.

It's like remaking Fawlty Towers and having Basil go to a gay musical called Gay.

Where can I get one of these cushy, cut and paste, steal everything and still be declared a genius writers jobs?

Oh nice bit of referencing there.

I mean like I say it's sort of like a cutprice version of the Avengers before it rips anything else off.

But I mean wasn't that whole daft terrorist plot just jammed in at the end, after endless self congratulatory stuff about Holmes's return.

There were lots of nuggets of goodness, Microfts and Holmes chat about genius and learning Serbian in a couple of hours was sweetly, sinister. Holmes's introduction to Watson with them being thrown out of restaurants was a very superior comedy sketch, with top notch performances, showing off both the leads started as comedy actors. Benedict's parents appearing was positively post modern and the Holmes fan club was a joke Who never got right, but this did.

But that was I dunno half an hour in an hour and a half.

I'd suggest the whole crew rewatch Moonlighting that 80s classic, to see how comedy and surrealism can go hand in hand with a real convincing mystery plot.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 2nd January 2014, 9:00 AM GMT

I especially enjoyed the subversion of viewers expectations, purposfully messing with them.

If they wanted to write a self indulgent love letter to their fans, they could have done so with a 'mini episode' - oh wait, they already did that. I must admit that my expectations were completely subverted, I used to think this was an awesome show, now not so much.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 2nd January 2014, 12:14 PM GMT

And it doesn't even make sense in the context of John Watson and Mrs. Hudson, he's had several girlfriends in the series and even brought them to Baker Street.

It's what Sootyj calls

Committing to your own bullshit.

If you look at Homeland or the Unit or even Startrek. They all took daft as toast ideas and by committing to their bullshit and taking their bull shit seriously created meaningful and engaging narratives.

Quote: sootyj @ 2nd January 2014, 12:16 PM GMT

There were lots of nuggets of goodness, Microfts and Holmes chat about genius and learning Serbian in a couple of hours was sweetly, sinister. Holmes's introduction to Watson with them being thrown out of restaurants was a very superior comedy sketch, with top notch performances, showing off both the leads started as comedy actors. Benedict's parents appearing was positively post modern and the Holmes fan club was a joke Who never got right, but this did.

That's part of the problem, we had too much of this frippery and not enough plot, why we had to sit through ten minutes of Doctor Watson's Embarrassing Bodies, with a never ending stream of knob and botty gags is beyond me. Yeah, I get it, John's job is a bit rubbish and he wants to be out solving crimes with Sherlock. It's this kind of puerile, juvenile nonsense that needed to be reigned in by a script editor. But who is going to say no to Moffat and Gatiss?

Quote: sootyj @ 2nd January 2014, 12:19 PM GMT

It's what Sootyj calls

Committing to your own bullshit.

Except it wasn't their own bullshit, it was the bullshit of the Tumblr girlies. Perhaps Gatiss should read less fan fiction and Internet comments and read more Sherlock Holmes books.

'I believe in Sherlock Holmes!' F**k me. Unimpressed

I kinda agree, tied into a better story they'd have worked better.

I much prefer the current movies.

It brings a tear to my eye to see such banter from my two favourite internet rantologists. Welcome back RCP.

Rant I don't rant.

I merely express passion.

Like that guy who it took 15 cops to stop masturbating in public.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ 2nd January 2014, 12:41 PM GMT

It brings a tear to my eye to see such banter from my two favourite internet rantologists. Welcome back RCP.

Lovey

I rather enjoyed it. Not as good as the previous two openers, but certainly better than the Chinese acrobats and the Baskerville one. Perhaps too much time was devoted to tying up strands from Sherlock's 'death', but that was my only real criticism.

Quote: Ben @ 2nd January 2014, 12:52 PM GMT

I rather enjoyed it.

And the lead singer of Lost Prophets enjoyed shagging babies, not really a cohesive argument in favour of something.

BTW - Hello Ben! Good to see you. Wave

Quote: Ben @ 2nd January 2014, 12:52 PM GMT

I rather enjoyed it. Not as good as the previous two openers, but certainly better than the Chinese acrobats and the Baskerville one. Perhaps too much time was devoted to tying up strands from Sherlock's 'death', but that was my only real criticism.

Yeah, I'd say I'd place it there too. Enjoyable, but not enough of a strong mystery threaded through. At least it wasn't dull, like the acrobats one.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 24th August 2012, 10:44 PM BST

I think it is perfect marketing, you wait a year for an episode, the first one is super awesome, the second one is deliberately rubbish, so when they show the third, you think it's the best thing ever.

So tell your kids they're going to park (yay!), actually take them to the dentist (boo!) and finish off with a trip to McDonalds (woo! Best parents ever!)

They're tampering with a winning formula by putting the shit one first.

Quote: sootyj @ 2nd January 2014, 12:43 PM GMT

Rant I don't rant.

I merely express passion.

Like that guy who it took 15 cops to stop masturbating in public.

Clearly wasn't enough for this particular episode. ;)

Booyah to you sir