Sherlock Page 57

Not wildly original infact could be seen all the way back in the story of Jacob and Rebecca in the Old Testament.
It's the execution of the idea that's the thing and that it did well.

Some quality moments in this one. 'As long as I have you I can save them'. I can't see how that bit made much sense. However generally very good. Our pathologist friend would have had a hand in the deception at the end me thinks. Still to me this series has never lived up to the very first episode with the taxi driver. That was superb writing and acting I felt. Still very watchable and it endeavoured to keep you interested throughout. Good stuff.

I liked it.

But isn't it about time they just got married or something. They obviously want to.

Quote: zooo @ January 16 2012, 12:16 AM GMT

Phew!

Aside from making everyone feel a bit thick, this is bloody good stuff!
(ie, keep going.)

:D Several other things did occur but I'd need to watch episode again to double check facts and frankly a line needs to be drawn for me to be able to get on with my own work!

Quote: Rob H @ January 16 2012, 9:41 AM GMT

Blimey AJGO, you need to watch a bit of snooker, give your brain a rest. ;)

Well, I wasn't going to but if you insist..

Quote: Nogget @ January 16 2012, 9:58 AM GMT

AJGO's brilliant Io theory

Ha, you're too kind to the ramblings of an incoherent mind; I'm still inordinately proud of detectiving that picture for you :D

something to do with the cyclist knocking over watson? he seemed rather groggy as he got up considering it was just a 'knock to the floor'.
possibly he had been injected with some form of the hallucinagenic drug featured in the baskerville episode, causing him to see what he expected to see (a very dead sherlock) and explaining the weird slow motion "ooohhh myyy goddd" ahah!

also, if watson had been truly incapacitated after seeing sherlock fall, he really could have been lying there for any length of time. so something could have broken sherlocks fall and some sort of switcheroo could have taken place?

also there is something fishy about the way in which sherlock carefully positioned watson, continuously requesting eye contact.

and molly took care of the autopsies?

either way, really can't wait for the big explainaroo!

Of course not the terminology Morifarty uses

"I O U"

More like doing a favour then anything else. Assuming Sherlock is unbothered by fame and just wants to solve crimes, bum Watson whatever. Then maybe helping him appear to die and disapear into ingnominy would be the biggest favour he could do Sherlock?

Who could then return more low key like.

Watched with half an eye as fighting with Final Draft and non operative macros so I've probably missed stuff. However, going back to the original... ACD didn't plan to write any more and used Reichenbach to kill off both Sherlock and Moriarty. Shrlock's return and explantion of what happened is frankly worthy of inclusion in a Moff/Gatiss episode. I'm a little bit fuzzy as I haven't read the books for some time but I don't think Moriarty was offered any get out by ACD. He went over the Falls and presumably drowned/was dashed to bits but I don't recall him reappearing. (Willing to stand corrected).
But I did wondered about the convenient appearance of the cyclist and the whole slomo bit, particularly after the Baskerville jaunt and Sherlock's using John as a guinea pig for the hallucinagenic gas. Did the cyclist have a mask on? And I did think to myself during the long shot when the body is being out into the ambulance and the crowd starting to disperse where's all the blood gone that was all over the pavement?

John is positioned behind a small building so can't see till he gets round when he is hit by a cyclist.

Also the bin bag truck is RIGHT beside where Sherlock lands and drives away just after John gets up again.

Does anyone else think there's more than meets the eye to the "U" in "IOU"?

Just that when Molly says to Sherlock, "What do you need?", he replies "You" (or possibly "U").

I've watched the episode a couple of times now and rewatched some of the important bits, especially the last 10 minutes.

Sherlock positions Watson carefully so that his view is of Sherlock but, crucially (?), not the pavement below (his line of sight is blocked by a smaller building). At first there is a rubbish truck (one of the flat bed types) full of rubbish bags positioned (conveniently?) at the road near where Sherlock supposedly lands.

The cyclist bumps into Watson at the crucial moment he would see Sherlock's body on the pavement (perhaps giving Sherlock time to switch places or bodies?). Not sure if the cyclist is able to "inject" Watson with anything or whether he just gives Watson a knock on the head, but the slowing of Watson's movement and vision suggests, perhaps, the use of the psychotropic drug from the previous episode.

There are so many unresolved questions (which is both good and bad, intriguing and annoying in almost equal measure), for instance did anyone find Moriarty's body? Did he, also, fake his own death? Was it actually a pact between him and Sherlock so that they could effectively "reset the game" and start again? Moriarty was cleared bored with his current life, he'd pretty much achieved everything he could. Was Mycroft involved? He certainly didn't seem particularly upset when reading about Sherlock's "death", but then again, knowing his detached character, would he show any emotion anyway?

I guess we'll have to wait to find out the answers!

Of course famously the novel "First Blood" featuring John Rambo ends with him being shot in the head dead.

The film was so succesful the author wrote a sequel. Where good old Rambo was alive no explanation.

Explanations are for queers.

Just to add some more wild theories to this mess of a conspiracy - the final conversation on the roof between Sherlock and Moriarty involved this whole weird dialogue about Holmes being ordinary and a good guy and Moriarty looking at his eyes and saying 'you are just like me' - could this be the I and U in IOU?

Was the Sherlock we saw on the roof, the real Sherlock or the doppleganger Sherlock proposed by zooo?

Would I put it past the writers to come up with this kind of crappy Doctor Who style switch-a-roo bollox?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 16 2012, 1:13 PM GMT

Does anyone else think there's more than meets the eye to the "U" in "IOU"?

Just that when Molly says to Sherlock, "What do you need?", he replies "You" (or possibly "U").

Ooh, good spot! There did seem to be a metals theme with mercury, the gun, the tie pin (?), so maybe uranium, then also links back to solar theme with Io, mercury, uranus. If I remember correctly the IOU on the wall was in red wings, perhaps Icarus/mythology with Io, references to Sun newspaper, 'I will burn you', sun being in Moriarty's eyes?

The initial shot of Moriarty on the roof was strikingly still, maybe a purposeful illusion that will help explain how they pulled off fake deaths (or Moriarty being really good at staying still and pretending to be dead :D )

And if they're playing with illusion techniques, then helps explain why girl screamed when saw Sherlock, although could've just been shown pictures of him in high stress situation to provoke police into doubt

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 16 2012, 1:48 PM GMT

Was the Sherlock we saw on the roof, the real Sherlock or the doppleganger Sherlock proposed by zooo?

It was the real one. Whatever happened, he was up there when he was talking to Moriarty.

What was the 'I have something of yours you might want back' or whatever it said in the text Sherlock sent to Moriarty? I'm going to have to bloody watch this again, aren't I?

Quote: AJGO @ January 16 2012, 1:57 PM GMT

What was the 'I have something of yours you might want back' or whatever it said in the text Sherlock sent to Moriarty? I'm going to have to bloody watch this again, aren't I?

Wasn't he just talking about the code?