Funny book?

Any fiction that has made you laugh hard, long and often?

Most of Kurt Vonneguts stuff gets a wry smile, but the only book that has made me laugh out loud is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace - one-liners, set-pieces and character sketches. Funny as hell.

Not read Stewart Lee's made-up book yet.

Also, anything by Martin Amis or Ian McEwan normally makes me chuckle, but only at that the bits that aren't meant to be funny. Especially "London Fields" with its uncanny premonition of the career of noted "Mockney" Damon Albarn.

Various responses to "funniest novels?" here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/16045/

When I am bored and fancy a laugh I get my inheritance out. Grandma left me a ton of Mills & Boons. That stuff is hillarious.

It is funny, but its also quite touching, when it comes down to love. And its alot better than the horrid reality.

Douglas Adams, Robert Rankin.

Joseph Heller.

Tom Sharpe.

George MacDonald Fraser - Flashman series.

Rich Hall's book, written as his Otis Lee Crenshaw character 'I Blame it on Society' had me giggling like an idiot on the tube.

Quote: Marc P @ July 20 2010, 9:28 AM BST

Tom Sharpe.

George MacDonald Fraser - Flashman series.

Both top notch. But I think I may have puked laughing at Sharpe. It's interesting in some of the idiosyncratic jokes he makes, you can see he was the frst to make them. Some of which went onto become comedy staples/cliches.

Quote: sootyj @ July 20 2010, 9:43 AM BST

Both top notch. But I think I may have puked laughing at Sharpe. It's interesting in some of the idiosyncratic jokes he makes, you can see he was the frst to make them. Some of which went onto become comedy staples/cliches.

Yup. I think I might have to go and reread them. Genuine laugh out loud genius.

I could never get ino Sharpe.

Quote: chipolata @ July 20 2010, 9:51 AM BST

I could never get ino Sharpe.

I thought he'd be right up your street.

:)

Quote: Marc P @ July 20 2010, 10:00 AM BST

I thought he'd be right up your street.

:)

You're profiling, Marc!

Lol. Not if you saw the state of my desk! :)

Quote: sootyj @ July 20 2010, 9:43 AM BST

Don't you think Sean Bean played him very well?