Funny book? Page 3

Quote: chipolata @ August 3 2010, 2:39 PM BST

The film's okay, mainly thanks to a great score by the mighty Luke Haines. Haven't read the book.

I've read the book and have the soundtrack. Haven't seen the film.

Quote: Ben @ August 3 2010, 1:02 PM BST

Diary of a Nobody is very funny.

Yes, finally. That is a great laugh book from lords know how long ago. Pooter is genius. Way ahead of time

And Luke Haines book is tragic. Vile little troll. His music is just about okay.

A couple of oldies, Mary Dunn Memoirs of Mipsie and WE Bowman The Ascent of Rum Doodle.

Anything by Leslie Thomas - and Griff reminds me - all the Nigel Molesworth books.

Quote: sheep2 @ August 3 2010, 11:35 AM BST

David Sedaris newest book, a collection of fables entitled Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary (with illustrations by Ian Falconer), will be published in September 2010.
:D

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Thanks sheep!

Quote: robert aitken @ August 5 2010, 10:37 PM BST

And Luke Haines book is tragic. Vile little troll. His music is just about okay.

I think you'll find that his music is actually superb.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 6 2010, 10:05 AM BST

I think you'll find that his music is actually superb.

It is indeed. He's a grumpy genius.

Back on topic, another very funny book is Three Men In A Boat. I believe there was a sequel in which the three men walk around Germany, although I've not read that.

Quote: chipolata @ August 6 2010, 10:17 AM BST

Back on topic, another very funny book is Three Men In A Boat. I believe there was a sequel in which the three men walk around Germany, although I've not read that.

I didn't really find that as funny as I thought I might. I was probably too busy looking for the story.

Three Men in Das Boot.

Quote: Marc P @ August 6 2010, 10:21 AM BST

Three Men in Das Boot.

I knew you'd jerrymander a pun in!

Three Men on the Bummel ....!

Quote: sidecar jon @ August 6 2010, 11:07 AM BST

Three Men on the Bummel ....!

Indeed, bummel being, before anyone wonders, slang for a bicycle. Okay, but not as entertaining as the original.

Has anyone else read anything by Jerome?

Yes "Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow" which is quite fun..

..."There are various methods by which you may achieve ignominy and shame. By murdering a large and respected family in cold blood and afterward depositing their bodies in the water companies' reservoir, you will gain much unpopularity in the neighborhood of your crime....."

Cheers, I've been thinking of checking that one out.

Has anyone mentioned Tom Holt yet in this thread?; he's very prolific, but hisPortable Door trilogy is about the top of his game.

Quote: chipolata @ August 6 2010, 10:17 AM BST

Yes, that's a very funny book. What's the dog called? Montmorency? The sequel is Three Men On The Bummel, but I haven't read it. It's supposed to be quite disappointing.