Are You Having A Laugh? - TV And Disability

I watched this and found it somewhat interesting. I would find it more interesting if they covered my disability more.

Come on - as someone on the autistic specturm, I can tell you not all disabilities need a wheelchair.

One thing of personal interest to me therefore was when Ben Miller said that comedy was like Asperger's. I have Asperger's. So that means in his eyes that I am comedy. If that is the case, how come Newsjack haven't picked up any of my sketches?

Most of the sufferers?? I've come across on Comedy forums don't seem to regard Aspergers as a disability, more as an advantage.

If that is the case, how come Newsjack haven't picked up any of my sketches?

*bites tongue*

Quote: don rushmore @ June 25 2010, 11:07 PM BST

*bites tongue*

I didn't know you were Epileptic Don.

I just watched part of this programme. I would have thought there was no advantage or disadvantage to a writer or a performer as long as you have enough talent/courage/tenacity to get on with it. I met (well, on the net anyway...) a very funny and also nice guy who happened to have Asperger's but whether he would have been as funny or funnier without it, who can say?

Certainly, he wasn't working in a 9-5 job and appeared to be of independent means (or state funded) so he had plenty of time available for his comedy. That was one definite advantage he had in terms of being able to devote almost all of his time to it.

I wonder, if you have Asperger's do you know what it's like NOT to have Asperger's? I guess not?

Didn't really think much of the show. Aside from a couple of personal stories from the talking heads, there wasn't anything in the programme that we couldn't have worked out for ourselves with a bit of common sense. Just ... meh.

I agree with Aaron, it was all a bit obvious and I wonder who they were aiming at? Didn't really get it. It was very wheelchair focussed and the 'celebs' seemed to be trying hard to show us that they can be understanding/sympathetic.
There are so many disabilities that I suppose they couldn't feature them all and perhaps they just didn't have any funny stories about people with AS or couldn't find any celebrities or interviewees to fit their criteria, whatever that was.

Jimmy Tarbuck's over-compensating comments were making me laugh.

I can understand why people might not had liked this programme but I really did. I could identify myself with several things. It is a shame though that the job market isn't as open and less anxious to employ a disabled person. But regarding the programme I thought it was well made and true to life.

I still smile when I remember the Japanese bloke saying "Is he having a rarf?" in When the Whistle Blows.

Quote: Nessie @ June 29 2010, 9:21 AM BST

I can understand why people might not had liked this programme but I really did. I could identify myself with several things. It is a shame though that the job market isn't as open and less anxious to employ a disabled person. But regarding the programme I thought it was well made and true to life.

I imagine a lot of people could identify with it. I didn't dislike it but I still didn't really get the point of it. Look at and listen to disabled people telling funny stories, watch clips from programmes that feature disabled people and listen to celebrities pretending that they are 'disabled friendly.'

Asperger's is often pronounced "ass burgers", which is pretty funny.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 25 2010, 10:53 PM BST

Come on - as someone on the autistic specturm, I can tell you not all disabilities need a wheelchair.

I don't know whether any of you saw Britain's Missing Top Model ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/missingmodel ) a while back, but what you said reminded me of a heated discussion that ran throughout the series, as some of the judges wanted the winner to be a "poster image" or stereotype for disability and thus wanted to eliminate everyone who didn't have a "visible" disability, whilst other judges took the opposite standpoint.

But yes, I watched "Are You Having A Laugh? - TV and Disability" and quite liked it, although it didn't hold me captivated throughout.

Quote: Lee @ June 26 2010, 4:26 PM GMT

Jimmy Tarbuck's over-compensating comments were making me laugh.

Not sure what the point of Tarby's presence. Has he some ground-breaking routine I missed or was he just a representative of them olden days?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 25 2010, 10:53 PM BST

I watched this and found it somewhat interesting. I would find it more interesting if they covered my disability more.

Not all physical disabilities do either. I have a physical disability but you wouldn't know it just to look at me. I don't require a wheelchair or any other aide to get around. I have two "regular" arms and legs, there is nothing in my face or torso that gives it away. I the only way you can tell is if you look closley when I walk and see that my feet and knee turn at a funny angle. Or that I seem to always walk slow.

Growing up many people, including adults never seemed to be able to understand that were some physical things I couldn't do. They seemed to think if just practised some thing like running I would get as fast the "regular" kids. I might have got a little faster but I could have practised everyday and never would have got as good as the slowest able bodied child.

To try and explain to people I used to tell them to imagine they made a cake using only dry ingredients. It won't matter how much you stir or beat, it won't become a batter like consistancy without some milk or butter. I used to say that my muscles and nerves were similar, they were missing something that made them work. Although this wasn't entirely true, it seemed to help people understand.