Possible Plagarism?

I happened to pass by one of those websites that puts up unintentionally funny things that people say in conversation (like "Overheard in the Office" and its various sister sites). I especially noticed one piece of conversation that could be a sketch on its own and I really wanted to use it. But even if I fix some lines and change the setting, etc., would it be plagiarism?

Unless it's copyrighted, I don't think so. Seeing as no one wrote it, there's no one to claim ownership. A lot of material can come from overheard conversations. For all we know, you were there, listening to it in real life.

Just make sure it's not copyrighted. Oh, and think your own stuff up you lazy git! ;)

(By the way, I'm only guessing all of this.)

This thread seems familiar...

Laughing out loud

Thomas, what you could do ...

'Copy' the conversation onto your computer clipboard - and then Google it. If there are no similar or identical matches (other than the original source) - feel free to use it.

Although, personally, I'd make a few discreet changes: just to be on the safe side.

Yeah, make it even funnier than it was and you should be alright. Isn't pretty much everything in Peep Show something that happened to the production crew or somebody the production crew knew? And then exaggerated further. I'm sure Sam Bain, Jesse Armstrong and/or Andrew O'Connor have said that more than once.

Dan

As a slight deviation, there's been a couple of recent TV sketches identical to sketches I've seen on t'internet. Not carbon copy scripts but the central idea being exactly the same. Most likely a coincidence (a writer with the same idea unaware of the original) but this sketch by the brilliant Nathan Fielder was 'remixed' on a recent sketch show (not naming names):

http://www.youtube.com/user/nathanfielder?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/17/5JT-Uej1PA0

And I've had a recent sketch idea used on a TV show. I put it down to great minds and all that....

Quote: Simon B @ June 11 2010, 9:49 AM BST

As a slight deviation, there's been a couple of recent TV sketches identical to sketches I've seen on t'internet. Not carbon copy scripts but the central idea being exactly the same. Most likely a coincidence (a writer with the same idea unaware of the original) but this sketch by the brilliant Nathan Fielder was 'remixed' on a recent sketch show (not naming names):

http://www.youtube.com/user/nathanfielder?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/17/5JT-Uej1PA0

And it's just as dull the second time around...

Quote: David Bussell @ June 11 2010, 9:57 AM BST

You recognise it?

Quote: Simon B @ June 11 2010, 9:59 AM BST

You recognise it?

Of course I do.

Quote: David Bussell @ June 11 2010, 10:01 AM BST

Of course I do.

I knew you did, of course, from what you wrote. I was doing some small 'write'.

Quote: Simon B @ June 11 2010, 10:03 AM BST

I knew you did, of course, from what you wrote. I was doing some small 'write'.

You're confusing today.

I think I recognise what that might be just from watching the YouTube clip without the sound.

Quote: David Bussell @ June 11 2010, 10:11 AM BST

You're confusing today.

You must be easily confused today.

I recognise this as well. That's irritated me.