George & Mildred Page 11

George & Mildred. Image shows from L to R: Mildred Roper (Yootha Joyce), George Roper (Brian Murphy). Copyright: Thames Television.

George & Mildred

Sitcom about the Ropers, somewhat of an odd couple both together and within their Hampton Wick neighbourhood

hawtdawg

• Monday 2nd December 2019, 8:56pm
  • Taiwan
  • 3 posts

In the first four episodes of series 5 what is the painting of the woman in their main room, just behind George's chair? The painting was changed after that.

Rood Eye

• Tuesday 3rd December 2019, 12:20am [Edited]
  • England
  • 3,248 posts
Quote: hawtdawg @ 2nd December 2019, 8:56 PM

In the first four episodes of series 5 what is the painting of the woman in their main room, just behind George's chair? The painting was changed after that.

If you mean the picture above, it's a nice example of a much-maligned style known as "kitsch".

Prints of that painting are still to be found in some trendy retro locations in various European countries.

The original artist remains anonymous to this day.

Definitely Tarby

• Tuesday 3rd December 2019, 2:11am [Edited]
  • England
  • 1,888 posts

Love Brian Murphy, One of those rare comedy actors with funny bones.

That is a nice picture and I would be interested to know if it's a real painting or created as a prop. One person who might know is Andy Armstrong. He should know where that painting came from.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1161968/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr27

hawtdawg

• Tuesday 3rd December 2019, 6:42am
  • Taiwan
  • 3 posts

Thank you for the info Definitely Tarby. Don't see any way to contact Mr. Armstrong to ask him.

Rood Eye

• Tuesday 3rd December 2019, 11:23am [Edited]
  • England
  • 3,248 posts
Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 3rd December 2019, 2:11 AM

That is a nice picture and I would be interested to know if it's a real painting or created as a prop.

It was certainly not created for the show.

I can tell you for a fact that the picture of the woman on the Ropers' wall is a print that had been popular among the general public for a considerable time before it ever appeared on that wall.

My guess is that it was painted in the 1960s but I know for certain that prints of that painting became very popular with ordinary folk throughout Europe during the 1970s.

It was the sort of picture that was scorned by the "serious" art world but which was nevertheless much loved by everyday people like the Ropers.

That, combined with the fact that the Fourmiles next door would have derided it, is (I suggest) exactly why it was chosen as a prop for the show. Laughing out loud