Life Of Riley - Series 2

To celebrate tomorrow's return of this sitcom on BBC One why not nominate five things you have found funnier just to keep the gag writers on their toes.

Mine are:

Shoah
Breaking the Waves
Cathy Come Home
The War Zone
Come and See

I notice it's been dumped into the Wednesday night 'Death Slot' at 7:30. Trying to do another Big Top.

Hmmm. Doesn't bode well.

Although the very last episode of the last series was quite watchable.

I quite liked what I watched of it. I enjoyed the last one as well.

I'll miss it though as I'll be getting wasted, so will watch it on iPlayer probably.

A wholesome existence!

It is, I've spent all weekend throwing up and recovering from illness, I'd like the next one to be self inflicted!

Quote: youngian @ March 16 2010, 1:14 PM GMT

To celebrate tomorrow's return of this sitcom on BBC One why not nominate five things you have found funnier just to keep the gag writers on their toes.

Mine are:

Shoah
Breaking the Waves
Cathy Come Home
The War Zone
Come and See

Ok, some of the things I found funnier than the Life of Riley?
Ironing my head,
Pulling my toenails out one at a time,
Titanic,
The Green Mile,
Old Yeller.

Hm, I suspect I have been a bit cynical about this...

This is a second series?!

Yes. Good news eh Leevil!

Errr

The best yet...

You fail to see the bigger picture young Lee.

What does this sorry tale tell us?

That the BBC learn not from their mistakes but from their pay cheques?

No....that there is hope.

Ah, the prime 7.30pm BBC1 opposite the football slot. Always a great mark of confidence.

Preview from The Times TV listings (David Chater)...

Quote: David Chater

Caroline Quentin returns for a second series of this dismal sitcom, which is aimed at viewers who worry that one day My Family will disappear from the schedules and there will be nothing to replace it.

It's the same-old format that passed its sell-by date sometime in the early 1980s, in which an ordinary family muddles along doing the best they can and being oh-so-funny. In this opening episode the husband and wife have bought a book on keeping alive the romance in marriage. They decide to spend an evening of quality time together - with entirely predictable results.

Without wishing to sound negative, it is lazy, mindless, patronising, cowardly and desperately unfunny drivel. What is so frightening is that no one at the BBC thought to say: "Hang on, we ought to be aiming a bit higher than this."

Personally I think the second series may seriously suffer in the ratings due to the daughter no longer looking like jail bait. First rule of prime-time sitcom: must pander to the masturbatory fantasies of middle-aged Dads.

Oh, and looking around the internet, I see that there was already a sitcom of this name (I had thought that the title of this show was, though desperately lazy and pointless, at least original)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_Riley

Seems the US 1950s TV series ran for over 200 episodes. I think the main character's catchphrase is brilliant though... "What a revolting development this is!" (eat that Little Britain).