Not Again: Not The Nine O'Clock News

Just finished watching this and wow, it really was a warts and all look at NTNOCN. It was like one of those 'Behind The Music' docs on VH1 and didn't pull any punches.

Unlike the Coogan 'Inside Story', this was a fascinating insight into the world of sketch comedy, cast dynamics and ego clashes.

Anyone else get freaked out by a young Chris Langham looking, well young?

Quote: Aaron @ December 28 2009, 10:43 PM GMT

So, a great programme tonight. That's how to do a comedy documentary, people. Entertaining, insightful, and pretty candid. A bit of a pity they didn't speak to Chris Langham, but understandable.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be scheduled for a repeat (the one time it'd be nice, eh...), but anyone who missed it can catch it on iPlayer now.

Our guide: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/not_again_not_9_oclock_news/

I was in my early 20s when this show was first broadcast and it really was innovative at the time. I loved the little anecdote about Rowan Atkinson making a 90 minute compilation of the series that did not include Pamela Stephenson .. she really was eye candy in it .. but quite acceptable eye candy .. at the time :-)

You've just reminded me of the bit in the documentary when they talk about getting a female cast member. It seems mad today that they approached several top women comics and they all turned down the job.

'Hey would you like to be in a BBC comedy show?'

'No thank you, I'm busy.' :O

I'm still a bit dubious about the producer going up to strange blondes at parties and asking if they wanted to be on television - sounds incredibly seedy and casting couch-y.

Quote: Alan C @ December 28 2009, 10:47 PM GMT

I loved the little anecdote about Rowan Atkinson making a 90 minute compilation of the series that did not include Pamela Stephenson .. she really was eye candy in it .. but quite acceptable eye candy .. at the time :-)

You loved the fact he edited Pamela out of the best bits?

I thought it showed him up to be quite petty and controlling.

After that great documentary, it feels to me like a bit of a disservice to the show to stick on a best-of compilation rather than an episode of the series proper, despite the obvious advantages. I'd have liked to see a proper ep broadcast. Pity.

Problem with showing an entire original episode is that a lot of the humour was topical and jokes about The Falklands War or Sony Walkmans might have dated a bit.

I'm glad they didn't, I get pissed off with repeats of HIGNFY on Dave - and they're only a few years old.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 28 2009, 10:54 PM GMT

You've just reminded me of the bit in the documentary when they talk about getting a female cast member. It seems mad today that they approached several top women comics and they all turned down the job.

'Hey would you like to be in a BBC comedy show?'

'No thank you, I'm busy.' :O

I'm still a bit dubious about the producer going up to strange blondes at parties and asking if they wanted to be on television - sounds incredibly seedy and casting couch-y.

Yes, that was a bit strange, he seemed to be a bit jealous that the Big Yin bagging Pamela too. Let it go ....

The bloke announced it as though it was a real episode. I'm sure he said 'here's a classic episode'.

Yes, he did. I got unnecessarily excited. :(

We should get a reduction off the licence fee.

I'll be watching the documentary later (Was watching Triffids) but caught that episode they put on after. So that was a compilation? Was a bit odd. That song at the end was awful though, the joke didn't even make sense! Kinda Lingers sounds a bit rude, but it doesn't really make sense as an alternative to goodbye, does it?!

Not their best song at all, but coming at the end further proves it was a compilation, to sort of say that's it, we're off, ta ta. A good compilation but the problem is most of those clips we had just seen in the 90 min special! BBC at it again, aint they! Ballsing it up with careless programming. Idiots.

Quote: AngieBaby @ December 28 2009, 10:56 PM GMT

You loved the fact he edited Pamela out of the best bits?

I thought it showed him up to be quite petty and controlling.

Yes I loved the fact that somebody could edit out one member of a team of 4 because they didn't like them- didn't think that I needed to state the obvious!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 28 2009, 11:08 PM GMT

I'll be watching the documentary later (Was watching Triffids) but caught that episode they put on after. So that was a compilation? Was a bit odd. That song at the end was awful though, the joke didn't even make sense! Kinda Lingers sounds a bit rude, but it doesn't really make sense as an alternative to goodbye, does it?!

I've always loved the song 'Kinda Lingers' myself. I think you have to appreciate that this was broadcast at a time when the word "cunnilingus" was considered a very taboo word for TV and so the question as to whether or not the song made much sense is rather irrelevant.