Cover Letters

Does anyone have a cover letter/query letter they will share with us?

I'm fine (kind of) with the actual describing-of-the-sitcom part - what I'm having real trouble with are the simple bits like the intro. Pretty much everything after Dear Mr. _____.

Is anyone willing to share letters they've used? (Cutting out all the pertinent plot bits, so no one pinches your ideas.)

Please? : (

A quote from a screenwriters blog...

Basically it said "Hello, I'm blah, won a short film competition, etc etc, trying to make a go of writing as a career, seeking representation, here are some samples, what would you recommend?" It wasn't much longer than that, short and sweet - mention what you've done, what you want to do, what you've attached, and ask politely for help. That's pretty much it. And for f**k's sake, don't make jokes in the letter, although I think I may have made one. That just annoys them. Give the info, say what you want, end the letter.

Hope that helps. I know it isn't much but it's a start.

I wouldn't introduce myself as "I'm blah", I'd used my actual name, apart from that, that is how the letter should look. ;)

... and if your name is actually 'blah'... well, it might be a good idea to change it!

:D

Dear Sir/Madam

I am the bestest writer in the whole wide world. I spent Fooking ages writing this fantastic Bastard & if you don't take the time to read it that will mean you are not doing your job properly.
If you are an animal lover I think you should be aware I kidnapped an old sick dying wrinkly arsed womens, pooch. I cut off its ear and posted it to the infirm Old hag. Yes it's your mother. Now Read the god damn script or else.

Thankyou kindly for your time.
Yours sincerly.

I was going to add something to this thread but I can't really top what Charley posted.

Quote: charley rance @ May 6, 2007, 12:21 PM

wrinkly arsed womens, pooch.

Thank God for that comma.

Ooh I forgot about this thread.

Thanks Charley, I'll let you know how that works for me.

Is that Copyright Charley Rance? Or can we all use it?