Love Thy Neighbour relaunch - a brainstorm

:D

Some people already have been in in a meeting, Griff...

http://tinyurl.com/yfltjvx

I'd snap it up because not only did I enjoy what I distantly remember of it, the formula is perfect for today's climate - white racist neighbour is the villain and always ends up the butt of the comedy and usually embarrassment. The black guy has a wail of a time although he secretly likes Eddie or at least believes him to be harmless and misguided, while his wife gets on brilliantly with Eddie's wife. Yes I'm pretty sure it would work today with just a little tinkering of the storylines but not the formula - it is perfect. Obviously language has changed a lot in 35 years so I'd hire someone to translate. I'd snap this one up AND be hopeful of another ratings hit with it. Offers like this 'do not grow on banana or honky apple trees' (mock original show's language which might have to be updated for today's audience).

Hmm the misunderstood racially persecuted person would have to be a ; white, able bodies, English CofE worshipper called Johnny Britain.

His neighbour would be a Afghani, black, transgenedered, lesbian, homophobic, Islamist terrorist with a hook for a cock. Who works as a council paedophile encourager, when sucide bombing on public transport.

I can't understand why Love they Neighbour is reviled while Till Death Us Do Part (which, by comparison, makes Love Thy Neighbour appear positively pro-integration) is revered as a comedy classic.

Oh, wait. I've just remembered.

Till Death Us Do Part was ironic.

Silly me.

Quote: Roodeye @ November 4 2009, 6:26 PM GMT

Till Death Us Do Part was ironic.

'In Sickness And In Health'

Dandy Nichols died 6 February 1986

Ironic.

Quote: Griff @ November 4 2009, 7:04 PM GMT

*realises that once more the world is beyond his understanding and goes back to reading Inspector Morse books*

Laughing out loud

Quote: Griff @ November 4 2009, 5:42 PM GMT

How would you go about making this dismally remembered piece of shit into 2010's number one smash hit?

Don't set it in Australia. I'm presently making my way through the seven episodes of Love Thy Neighbour in Australia, in which Eddie Booth moves to Sydney and finds out what it's like to be the 'foreign minority' (hardly, bigoted white Brits aren't much different from bigoted white Australians). It is not as bad as Father Dear Father in Australia, but that's not saying much.

The UK remake could have Gordon Brown, newly out of a job, moving next door to David Beckham. They bicker, while their wives become friends and their children fall in love. Extreme dullness ensues.

Quote: Kenneth @ November 4 2009, 10:28 PM GMT

The UK remake could have Gordon Brown, newly out of a job, moving next door to David Beckham. They bicker, while their wives become friends and their children fall in love.

:D
Hey, I like that one, Kenneth!

Oh - and Mandelson, the tranny next door with a Penelope Keith-like deep voice.

A slight altering of the title to "Luurve Thy Neighbour".
Set on a drugs riddled council estate full of dens of iniquity.
The premis being that a tall, rather rotund black fella who dresses like a seventies procurer of 'working-girls' proceeds around the estate singing the women in to bed, much to the darned annoyance of their husbands/boy(or girl)friends/pimps.
Much merriment and japes ensues whilst the lead does all he can to avoid being caught in flagrante delicto. Or Peckham.

NB All the woman are black too as to cast white women in such roles is, as we all know, against the law.

Why not have a muslim radical and two gay married men next door?

And on the other side two strictly come danc er celibate nuns and one trainee of a 'milder' persuasion who is, shall we say, familiar with the area.

Quote: alex mahon @ November 4 2009, 10:54 PM GMT

Why not have a muslim radical and two gay married men next door?

Quote: garyd @ November 4 2009, 11:14 PM GMT

And on the other side two strictly come danc er celibate nuns and one trainee of a 'milder' persuasion who is, shall we say, familiar with the area.

Rolling eyes

Where's Renegade Carpark when you f**kin' need him? Or Sootyj for that matter!

For the 2010 remake, the white bloke would need to be the father of a soldier who had been maimed in Iraq.
The neighbour who moves in would be from Iraq.

In the pilot episode, the white bloke mistakes a clock ticking in his neighbour's suitcase for something rather more sinister... with hilarious consequences.

Getting back to Griff's original question... how much money are we talking about again?

Quote: Morrace @ November 4 2009, 11:19 PM GMT

Rolling eyes

Where's Renegade Carpark when you f**kin' need him? Or Sootyj for that matter!

Sorting your dinner you ingrate, coming back smelling of other women. I know what you've been upto