A funny rape story? Page 6

Quote: chipolata @ October 7 2009, 4:50 PM BST

I haven't seen that film in ages. I can't remember if it's any good now. Or just worthy.

It's not impossible to wank to, but it's hard going.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 7 2009, 4:53 PM BST

It's not impossible to wank to, but it's hard going.

:D

Laughing out loud

Quote: chipolata @ October 7 2009, 4:50 PM BST

I haven't seen that film in ages. I can't remember if it's any good now. Or just worthy.

I haven't watched it in ages either, I remember the rape scene being quite harrowing though. Back in the 70's just about every horror film had some raping in it - ususally as an excuse to show some titties - but not now though.

I think we've grown as a society in that extent, so now it's okay to show a Japanese girl getting her eyeball blowtorched but not being raped. That is a good thing right?

'You do count Loopey - so give it to us straight - was this a case of 'laddish hijinks' or 'proper rape' like in The Accused?

What would you have done if confronted by a similar situation? Would you have noticed the difference between Twin A and Twin B? And just what are your feelings towards 80's boy band Bros?'

I have worked with rape and sexual assault victims and seen how it affects them and their families.

Therefore my opinion is that rape = not funny under any circumstances, as I said earlier in this thread.

Bros - yuk. I met one of them once, can't remember which one. More fake tan than Jordan and a very big ego.

Quote: Loopey @ October 7 2009, 4:58 PM BST

Therefore my opinion is that rape = not funny under any circumstances, as I said earlier in this thread.

I'm not claiming this story is funny. I was just shocked by the contents of it and the way it was told by the smug, unfunny twins.

Quote: Leevil @ October 7 2009, 5:01 PM BST

I'm not claiming this story is funny. I was just shocked by the contents of it and the way it was told by the smug, unfunny twins.

I know - was just giving my opinion on rape and the fact that some people do think it is funny and fair game for jokes, which is THEIR opinion, to which they are entitled. :D

Quote: Loopey @ October 7 2009, 4:58 PM BST

I have worked with rape and sexual assault victims and seen how it affects them and their families.

I'm a bit more flexible where I draw my lines.

I reckon jokes involving the concept of rape can be funny. Jimmy Carr has some good ones. Jokes about specific incidents of rape would be tastless and rarely funny.

Similarly, jokes about cancer can be funny, but taking the mickey out of somebody who has it would usually not.

I once went to buy some grapeseed oil for a salad, but I bought rape seed by accident. It didn't taste nice and I was mildly embarassed.

Funny story.

Quote: Loopey @ October 7 2009, 5:03 PM BST

I know - was just giving my opinion on rape and the fact that some people do think it is funny and fair game for jokes, which is THEIR opinion, to which they are entitled. :D

Okey-dokey :)

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 7 2009, 5:05 PM BST

I'm a bit more flexible where I draw my lines.

I reckon jokes involving the concept of rape can be funny. Jimmy Carr has some good ones. Jokes about specific incidents of rape would be tastless and rarely funny.

Similarly, jokes about cancer can be funny, but taking the mickey out of somebody who has it would usually not.

I am a Jimmy Carr fan but when I saw him making personal and cheap jokes to a member of the audience who was clearly upset (not about rape or cancer) I went off him a bit.

I am flexible too, though it doesn't come across in my posts I guess - it's an emotive subject and one that is difficult to fully explain an opinion on without writing reams or getting personal.

Can rape ever be funny?

At the end of Trading Places the bad guy was raped by a gorilla. In the It Crowd Douglas Reynholm tried to rape Moss and Roy and in Peep Show the army woman raped Mark.

So it seems we have a comedic double standard, rape is funny but only when it happens to men.

Except for Benny Hill obviously, where sexual assault is commonplace and there for laughs only. Grr, what a bastard he am.

Before anyone freaks out, I think rape and sexual assault is horrible and I only make light of it because it's something that is completely alien to me.

*unzips fly*

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 7 2009, 5:09 PM BST

Can rape ever be funny?

At the end of Trading Places the bad guy was raped by a gorilla. In the It Crowd Douglas Reynholm tried to rape Moss and Roy and in Peep Show the army woman raped Mark.

So it seems we have a comedic double standard, rape is funny but only when it happens to men.

Except for Benny Hill obviously, where sexual assault is commonplace and there for laughs only. Grr, what a bastard he am.

Before anyone freaks out, I think rape and sexual assault is horrible and I only make light of it because it's something that is completely alien to me.

I think like with most things it depends who your audience is because if you're among friends or peope who know you well then it isn't an issue because they know you're just doing it for the sake of laughs and it isn't representative of how you actually feel about rape.

Plus this is a thread on a comedy forum. We're always going to treat topics on hear in a jokey fashion.