Actor or actress changes Page 4

Quote: Rose2010 @ September 14 2012, 9:58 PM BST

I know this is off topic, but what does that phrase mean?

However hard you try there is no chance of success.
or something along those lines.

Funny how we know these things yet we don't really know these things.

From Wicktionary .

From horse racing, hiding ("beating"); to ("as used to express gambling odds"), ie, 6 to 1. Literally, the phrase can be described as to bet on a contest whose outcome is at worst a beating, or at best nothing. A heavily favoured team in a sporting contest earns no credit for victory, but is shamed by defeat; this team is said to be on a hiding to nothing.

Thanks!

Have never come across it before but it's certainly a concise way of summing up a particular kind of situation. The only North American phrase I can think of that's somewhat -- although not perfectly -- equivalent might be "can't win for losing".

Quote: aquasplash3 @ September 14 2012, 10:55 PM BST

The male characters in Birds Of A Feather come to mind - the unusual thing with that show is that two of the original actors returned in later series to replace the actors that they got replaced with!

And that was thankfully the deathnail for them all.

Used to quietly like BOAF sometimes but that cast changing they did was...there isn't a word for it!

I don't know, I think the cast changes worked ok other than the Darryl replacement.

The main thing is that the 3 lead characters never changed - the actresses who played those parts were irreplaceable.

Came across this thread while I was searching something else.

Herr Flick was changed in the last series of 'Allo 'Allo! (David Janson replacing Richard Gibson).

And the scars still remain from my dim & distant childhood as a result of suffering a change of face virtually every time I tuned into another episode of bewitched (Samantha's husband, the boss's wife, the neighbour...)

In Spy, Philip was played by Tom Goodman-Hill for series 1, then Mark Heap for series 2. There was a joke or two written into the second series regarding the change, as well.

I was curious to see if there'd be another change for series 3, but unfortunately it will not be returning.

How many male to female actor changes can you name?

Mr Foley in Mrs Brown Boy's also Mrs Nicholson.