Derren Brown: Predicting the Lottery Page 5

I don't think he'd have an earpiece or faster feed or anything linked with BBC, Camelot or anyone involved with the lottery, seeing the amount a shit it would raise with allegations of dodgy gambling.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ September 10 2009, 12:58 PM BST

At the risk of sounding like an utter nerd, I do collect magic tricks and do them at children's parties and stuff.

Magic is ace. I need more money to buy more stuff. :)

Quote: Aaron @ September 10 2009, 3:20 PM BST

"He'll want to leave people in awe"

Maybe?

Yes, now I know how to spell that word, finally. :) Plus, my R key is a little unresponsive, so apologies in advance for future typos.

Awe. Awesome. Something amazing/brilliant. To be in 'awe' of something is to think it's 'awesome'. Basically. And that. :)

Ok, cool. Makes sense.

So what's the birds and the bees?

Quote: Aaron @ September 10 2009, 3:15 PM BST

To be fair to Brown, it probably is true that the BBC reveal the draw before anyone else.

I'm not disputing that the BBC has the right to broadcast the draw before anyone else. But I doubt there's any regulation banning people (apart from Camelot employees) from making a prediction prior to the draw.

And here's a nice clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqAt2akPHJ8

Quote: Aaron @ September 10 2009, 3:21 PM BST

Magic is ace. I need more money to buy more stuff. :)

My best ones are a disembodied arm and a brilliant trick where half of a chosen card appears in a balloon. I also know a fab mind-reading card trick that always impresses. :)

Quote: Mark @ September 10 2009, 1:32 AM BST

He obviously can't actually predict the result (or he'd just win it quietly)... but I saw it and its a great trick. It's fun trying to work out how he's done it. I think there's got to be a clue in the fact he introduced the camera at the back of the warehouse but then never used a shot from it after that?

That camera will be used to show "How it's done" in Fridays show

We all know how he REALLY did it.

He is clearly an evil wizard robot from the future with plans on taking over the world by winning the lottery and sticking us to our sofas with his evil mind rays.

There's a theory going around that the draw is recorded at 8pm every Wednesday, and that Derren simply lied about it being live. Occam's Razor.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 10 2009, 4:17 PM BST

There's a theory going around that the draw is recorded at 8pm every Wednesday, and that Derren simply lied about it being live. Occam's Razor.

It's the theory that has my money.

Are you lot still on about this? Remind me to never share a house with any of you -

'What shall we watch tonight? The cooking, the dancing people or the magic man?'

*RC gets out shiny sweet wrapper and waves it around*

'Look! Look! Shiny thing!'

*RC throws sweet wrapper out of the window, watches idiot house mates chasing it down the street. Opens beer and watches Dexter in peace.*

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 10 2009, 4:57 PM BST

Are you lot still on about this? Remind me to never share a house with any of you -

I don't think it'll come up. ;)

I'm surprised he's getting any hostility at all here. I've often thought magic and comedy are quite similar disciplines. A reveal is just a form of punchline, right?

He seems to be getting a hard time really, I think it was pretty brilliant what he did, and I love having the debates with people about it. You will always get people coming up with their own opinions of how he did it and the love to hear them tell it, like they've been in the illusion and magic game for years. I tried annoying a few people last night by saying it is real and he just knows how to predict numbers, but only Tim came up with some intersting answers on how he did it.

Let's all just wait and see how he really did it Friday. I'm looking forward to that.

He get's some very unfair press IMO, the guy is just doing a job and doing it well. He is a very intelligent guy who has worked hard to baffle people in a very complex way, fair play to him.