The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 752

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th November 2022, 9:26 AM

I suspect there will be lots of trouble ahead. The restrictive laws will be too much for football fans and riots will break out.
In scorching heat, they have to keep covered up, and almost laughably - if you go there with your girlfriend, you cannot have sex. (it is illegal outside of marriage)
The 'fans' village' they have built (as of yesterday) is not finished by a long way. 2000 plastic tents with no air con and communal showers, toilets and sinks with brown water.

Some fans have already arrived and they cannot stay inside their tent because of the heat inside.

I wouldn't dream of going there, especially for a World Cup. The average England supporter probably doesn't know what he's let himself in for.

Southgate pontificating on the news tonight about the team taking the knee at tomorrow's game.............

For Christ's sake man, just play football FFS, and stop trying to make statements.

What a C, as he sat there with his holier than thou face.

The opening ceremony was snubbed by the BBC yesterday. A multi-million-pound extravaganza with famous people from all around the world doing their bit but not shown by the BBC. Instead, Linekar et al complaining about human rights etc while sat in an air-conditioned studio in the actual ground.
The could have broadcast it from London just the same but no....

I also noticed there were no females in the Qatar end last night, perhaps girls don't like football there.

Don't know why we're there.
Should have pulled the team.

It shouldn't be a question of pulling them out at this stage. We've known for ten years, or however long it is, that it was being held in Qatar. The time for the associations and governments to have acted, if they wanted to, was when it was announced. It's a bit late now.

And, of course, previous World Cups and Olympics have all been held in countries that were beyond reproach - like Russia (both after the invasion of Afghanistan and the annexing of Crimea), China, Argentina (under the junta shortly before they invaded the Falklands), South Africa & Brazil (with the background of protests over the vast expense vis a vis their living conditions), Not to mention Germany in 1936. No doubt, in the current political climate, if it were held in Britain now, many countries would object.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 21st November 2022, 10:16 AM

It shouldn't be a question of pulling them out at this stage. We've known for ten years, or however long it is, that it was being held in Qatar. The time for the associations and governments to have acted, if they wanted to, was when it was announced. It's a bit late now.

I sort of meant that really - it shouldn't have got this far

This is a classic case of reneging on a deal at the last minute and putting your opponent in a position that you assume they will be unable to get out of.
So we have reached the point now where our players either take the knee for one group but then refuse to stand up for another.
These players will never see a hungry day , they are the elite in their game and they have massive sponsorship deals so if they refuse to play or wear their armband they will not upset their sponsors and they will not be vilified by the media.
So while it may ruin their World Cup , if they did take a stance and just say 'No' it would put them in good stead as a person of integrity and show the World that not everyone and everything is for sale.

These stadia were built by slaves who died just like the Bahrain F1 and other events these people host . It is blatant sports washing and they are now doing it out in the open.
I just hope that someone stands up and says no and I would love it to be a England player but I suspect it may be a Dutch player if it happens.

In particular I am most offended by Gary Neville, he came across like a reasonable voice for people who struggle. He could have even taken Andy Burnhams place as Mayor if Kier Starmer gets deposed, but not now he has sullied his name forever and made a sham of everything he has ever spoken about in the past on social issues.
I will not watch a single game but I am reading the news and Twitter etc about things that are transpiring and all I see is a blatant hollow sham and people being manipulated with either money or fear.
That includes what is clearly the migrant workers being used to pose as fans in a 'Stalinesque' manner. It is a total f**king disgrace and it is dragging international football into a cesspit.

Here's my prediction........

Kane is going to get a yellow card for that armband the sanctimonious* prig** insists on wearing, which will make absolutely no difference in the world, and then he'll get another, after the referee has taken a bung to get him off the field...............and all for what.

Him and Southgate should get a room together and take turns to be the guiding light shrine.

Just play football FFS!!

*Def:- sanctimonious - adjective - making a show of being morally superior to other people.

** Def:- prig - noun - a self-righteously moralistic person who behaves as if they are superior to others.

Yup, that about sums them up

You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
Aristotle

It seems those easily offended by armbands can relax.

Some of the superficial quasi populist views being expressed are almost contradictory
I always presumed that the quintessential English person was noted for standing up for the underdog?
As such I am left with several questions.

Was Simon Templer a total lie?,
Did he travel to Beirut off his own bat and out of his own pocket for nothing?
Were all those two tabled cafes with beaded curtains smashed too bits for nothing?
Was the man in the off white suit cleaning his nails with a flick knife beaten to a pulp for fun?
Did the Belly Dancer loose a full shift because of the fighting for nothing?
Was the mastermind in the Fez now held by his own gun taken away by the local police, all for nothing?

To take the stance of being a proud Englishman yet at the same time ignore the plight of victims in order to garner favor of the baddie in the Fez is not very English in my book.
Just saying.

Was Qatar the first host nation to lose their opening game in the history of the world cup ? I guess you can bribe some off the people someone of the time, but you can't bribe... hang on, it's fool not bribe. I don't know much about football (I'm a Newcastle fan**) but I see England is forth favourite. Let's hope the favourites Brazil and Argentinian are kicked out of Qatar for being neighbours with Ecuador or something.

** Since moving to the NW, I've realised "Mansplaining" is a Manchester United fan explaining the toon army hasn't won anything since 1955 whilst pointing out all Alex Ferguson's mistakes out during the match.

Hope you were watching, Wales look you.

Hate games on ITV

Clive tyldsley talks absolute bollocks

Decided to head to my local bar (in a grocery store) to watch the game. They didn't have it on the televisions, and they're out of my favorite beer. I've settle for Guinness, and the game is now on two of the screens. Only two other people here, but I guess that's to be expected on a cold, rainy Monday at 1 PM.