The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 553

That Valencia badge is pretty cool.

I'm really hoping Wigan get through the final of the FA Cup again. Has it been defended recently? I'm struggling to remember, but Chelsea have won it a lot recently, so maybe they have.

That was shit! Good night.

Man Utd defended the FA Cup in 1995, but lost it to Everton. So long since Utd won it now - 10 years.

Quote: Ben @ 10th April 2014, 10:23 PM BST

That Valencia badge is pretty cool.

I'm really hoping Wigan get through the final of the FA Cup again. Has it been defended recently? I'm struggling to remember, but Chelsea have won it a lot recently, so maybe they have.

Most of the Valencia-ish teams have that bat.

Levante for sure, and even as far out as Albacete in La Mancha.

Not sure about Villarreal though

They're bat crazy.

The heraldic use of the bat in Valencia, Catalonia and the Balearic Islands has its origins in a winged dragon (vibra or vibria) that was crowning the helmet or cimera reial of the Kings of Aragon.

There is also a legend that says that thanks to the humble intervention of a bat, king James I of Aragon was able to win a crucial battle against the Saracens that allowed him to win Valencia for his kingdom

You can learn loads about European history and geography via football.

We're the Wolves, We're the Wolves, We're the Wolves . . . . .

We're the Wolves, We're the Wolves, We're the Wolves . . . . .

Congrats OR...

But remember

WE are the one and only Wanderers

Cheers Lofty . . see you next season !

Onwards and upwards, OR!

Hope you get promoted again next season too, if it's not too soon.

Penalties

Great pic from BBC Sport:

Gutted for Wigan. Arsenal's talent shone through in the penalties.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 12th April 2014, 6:21 PM BST

Onwards and upwards, OR!

Hope you get promoted again next season too, if it's not too soon.

Cheers George.

It won't satisfy the dyed in the wool Woolfies but a couple of seasons in the Championship wouldn't do any harm I think.

Quote: Ben @ 12th April 2014, 8:23 PM BST

Gutted for Wigan. Arsenal's talent shone through in the penalties.

I was convinced we were going to lose, especially after hitting the woodwork a few times during the game. Per Mertesacker caused the Wigan penalty and then scored the equaliser - on a metaphysical level - he might as well have never existed.

I have to hand it to Wigan, their tactics and defending was top notch...until Uwe made a classic mistake. He took off his best player, McManaman, in the second half to defend a 1-0 lead. If he'd stayed on the pitch it might have been a different story.

Interesting point by one of the commentators before the match, out of the 4 semi-finalists, Steve Bruce has managed 3 of them. He could have lied and said he used to be called Steve Bruce Rioch to get the full set, but he was too slow.

Roll on 17th May!