The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 261

Tackling wasn't the strongest aspect of Scholes' game, but I think sometimes the argument that he couldn't tackle was used to cover up the fact that he was actually going out to hurt people at times. He had a real nasty streak in him, and was prone to some really bad challenges.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ August 15 2011, 10:12 AM BST

I've gone with an alternative theory on Joey Barton's 'violence'. Thought-provoking:

http://www.gmfootball.com/2011-2012/My-Bart-Will-Go-On-All-Fours.html

You should tweet the link to Barton! He might not read it, but I'd be interested to hear his opnion if he did.

Also, it's funny how the stamp on him has been swept under the carpet and all the talk's about his antics. :D

Quote: Vader @ August 15 2011, 12:14 PM BST

You should tweet the link to Barton! He might not read it, but I'd be interested to hear his opnion if he did.

I did :)

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ August 15 2011, 10:12 AM BST

I've gone with an alternative theory on Joey Barton's 'violence'. Thought-provoking:

http://www.gmfootball.com/2011-2012/My-Bart-Will-Go-On-All-Fours.html

Oooh - dodgy. He does look to see what's on the web about him so I hear.

I do love this though.

"Alex Song's tackle left a nasty taste in my mouth."

Is that a genuine quote?

Quote: Chappers @ August 15 2011, 12:19 PM BST

Oooh - dodgy. He does look to see what's on the web about him so I hear.

I do love this though.

"Alex Song's tackle left a nasty taste in my mouth."

Is that a genuine quote?

Cheers Chaps

It isn't a 100% genuine quote unfortunately. He did complain about the challenge and I paraphrased it slightly :)

Quote: Trabs @ August 15 2011, 10:57 AM BST

Tackling wasn't the strongest aspect of Scholes' game, but I think sometimes the argument that he couldn't tackle was used to cover up the fact that he was actually going out to hurt people at times. He had a real nasty streak in him, and was prone to some really bad challenges.

I agree totally. Well someone had to take over from Keane.

That's the trouble with Manchester United. They may play pretty pretty football but they've always had a vicious destroyer to intimidate the opposition and the officials as ferguson can't do it once they're on the pitch - except point to his watch.

Quote: Vader @ August 15 2011, 12:14 PM BST

Also, it's funny how the stamp on him has been swept under the carpet and all the talk's about his antics. :D

I don't sweep it under the carpet. I congratulate him.

Quote: Chappers @ August 15 2011, 12:29 PM BST

I agree totally. Well someone had to take over from Keane.

That's the trouble with Manchester United. They may play pretty pretty football but they've always had a vicious destroyer to intimidate the opposition and the officials as ferguson can't do it once they're on the pitch - except point to his watch.

I don't sweep it under the carpet. I congratulate him.

I think a lot of great teams have somebody of that temperament in it. The quality footballer who has the potential to kick and bully the opposition out of the game as well as out play them. I am partial to footballer with a bit of venom in their game, as long as they have the class to balance it.

For me, Souness was the master of it. Growing up I also watched McMahon and Whelan, who were both absolutley ruthless.

Gary Neville is the replacement for Andy Gray on the machines on Monday Night Football.

GARY NEVILLE, everybody.

Gary Neville, Englands best right back for many, many years.
I understand why everyone apart from United fans hate him.
But I'm sorry I can't, he is too much of a ledgend to me.

^I agree, but he's a poor replacement for Andy Gray.

I remember him beng good as a pundit for one international match on sky before he got the job, not sure if he could make the leap to commentry and his voice would take quite a while to get used to as a commentator but as a analyist he would be more entertaining than say, Alan Shearer.
He will know a lot from all his years in the game and has worked with one of the best managers in history as well as some of the best players so I wouldn't expect him to just talk bolllocks and I reakon he could give a more accurate account of the modern game than some of the oldie analysists still hanging around.

I wouldn't trust him to keep his prejudices away when analysing a United/Liverpool/City match though.
If you wan't an unbiased commentator keano is your man, he would rip shreads off any team. even United and critisize everything that isn't 100% perfect.

He looked uncomfortable on screen to me. Maybe he will grow into it.

I wonder if Robbie Keane has always been a massive LA Galaxy fan, ever since he was a small boy growing up in Dublin?

I don't have a problem with the guy trying to earn all the money he can before his career ends.

Quote: Jamey @ August 16 2011, 1:49 PM BST

I don't have a problem with the guy trying to earn all the money he can before his career ends.

Neither do I, but I just think it's funny that everytime he signs for a club he always seems to make out that it is his boyhood dream coming true.