The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 229

Well if they do win it, it will be more of a default thing this season. Everyone has been shooting themselves in the foot. Chelsea had a flying start, then sacked Wilkins and signed Torres. Why?

And Wenger was just too stupifly stubborn to strengthen his team in the positions even a Manchester United supporter would realise needed strengthening - ie goalkeeper and centre back.

I'm obviously not feeling myself. (Insert (!) your own joke here!)

I'm almost at the point of hoping THEY beat Barcelona. It's the Unbearably Arrogant versus the Unbelievably Smug and I can't choose between them. Let's just hope there's a load of red and yellow cards for various reasons.

Clearly Barcelona are far less evil than United, even if they have their dark side.

Quote: Chappers @ May 11 2011, 7:05 PM BST

I'm obviously not feeling myself. (Insert (!) your own joke here!)

I'm almost at the point of hoping THEY beat Barcelona. It's the Unbearably Arrogant versus the Unbelievably Smug and I can't choose between them. Let's just hope there's a load of red and yellow cards for various reasons.

I get sick to death of everyone assuming Barcelona own the Champions League now. And La Liga for that matter. I loved it when Inter knocked them out of CL last year.

The smugness of Barcelona is nothing compared to Real Madrid. They'll never get tired of reminding everyone of the fact that they've been Champions of Europe more than any other team, winning 5 of their titles in successive years, and getting to 8 finals between '56 and '66. Yes, I have just been to Wikipedia.

We beat Barca in the semi final only 3 seasons back, they were 'unbeatable' then as well...

They're a better team now though, and United were a better team back then. Don't get greedy!

Quote: BuryBob @ May 11 2011, 11:29 PM BST

We beat Barca in the semi final only 3 seasons back, they were 'unbeatable' then as well...

Bollocks they were.

Rijkaard did so bad he got the sack, Ronaldinho was on the burgers, they finished ten points behind Villareal in third place and Real Madrid absolutely raped them 4-1 in El Clasico.

Quote: Chappers @ May 11 2011, 7:05 PM BST

!)

The ideal result will be Barca to win, but to do so by several moments of spectacular cheating that completely discredit their achievement.

I think they'll win 4-1.

Go Barca !

Anything to stamp on the face of that pig ignorant gum chewing prat !

Angry

Default is hardly the correct word Dave. We are deservedly winning the league due to an immense team spirit which is lacking in competing clubs in my view. It has been noted on so many occassions this team 'isn't one of Uniteds best'. On paper, Chelsea have a better team, but United are a team of grafters. Valencia is a great supplier and we missed him so badly this season, he has been like a new signing. Park is fantastic in the big games, I think he's very special. Great decision to make Vidic captain, he's been on top form this season. And just great personalities. Giggs is not only playing at such a high standard, he's the very epitome of professionalism, over 20 years now he's been playing, he's still putting in top class performaces. And Van Der Sar, 40 years of age, yet still a top class keeper and a top man. Imagine having people like him in the dressing room? Lacking at the other clubs. And of course the manager, genius, couple of fine signings this season for next to nothing (we'll forget about Bebe). Smalling has been great and Chicharito has been the signing of the season.

As for Barcelona, I don't really like them either. Seem to bring a ridiculous amount of cheating to there game, though there are some great likeable players there: Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Villa and of course Messi, there are some right cheating twats there- Alves, Mascherano and the worse of the lot Busquettes. Never seen a worser cheat than Busquetts. And how he seems to have escaped action after calling Real Madrid's Marcelo a 'monkey' during the semi-final goes to prove Mourinho's theory as a bias towards Barcelona. He should be banned, no question about it, disgraceful behaviour, if a United player said such a thing, they would quite rightly be crucified in the media. Let's hope we get a strong ref in the final who won't be conned by diving around or intimidated by constantly being surrounded by Barca players.

And finally, I'm starting to feel increasingly sorry for Neil Lennon. Top man in my opinion, he's had letterbombs sent to him and now he's been attacked by a supporter in Celtic's game tonight. Things carry on, he could easily be assasinated, all for being Celtic manager. It really isn't right this sectarianism is still going on to such high levels in the game.

We're due a 1-0 - take your pick as to who gets the goal.

In 1976 Bayern Munich beat St Etienne 1-0 which was the first of 13 such results in 23 European/Champions League Finals. There hasn't been once since 1998.

Also interesting that the last two Wembley finals ended 1-0 with Liverpool beating Brugge in 1978 and Barcelona winning against Sampdoria in 1992.

Sorry Jack but it's just the refusing to accept defeat. You're not a good team and everyone else is beating each other.

Next season there will be about 6 teams capable of winning it.

I'm looking forward to the FA cup final on Saturday, hopefully City will win to prove once and for all that football is better than rugby.

You don't win the title with a poor team. The odd dodgy performance yes, but what Barca have in abundant skill United make up for in work ethic & team work. The team of 99 was similar in many ways, in 08 we had the prodigious brilliance of Ronaldo but a similar squad who I think now are going to gel into Fergusons last great achievement. Smalling & Chicarito have been incredible additions, the Silva twins are blossoming wonderfully & the big difference between now & last time we played Barcelona is the return of Fletcher, a very underestimated player.

I hope Stoke stuff City in the FA cup, those flags fit nicely at Old Trafford :)

Hernandez deserves a slap. I didn't think it was possible to dislike a player more than Gary Neville but it's happened. Every time I see him I just feel angry.

With a sensible head on, what a signing he has proved to be.