The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 209

This Andy Gray and Richard Keys making fun of my namesake- woman linesman Sian Massey is being blown out of all proportion in my view. Karen Brady says the comments made her blood boil. Is this the same Karen Brady who works for the Sun (page 3) or was the first advertising manager of The Sunday Sport. Surely them papers are more degrading to women than a bit of Jack the lad banter

They shouldn't be fired for thinking and talking that way.

But they ARE idiots. And need to f**k off back to the 1970s where they belong.

Quote: zooo @ January 25 2011, 3:39 PM GMT

Indeed. Just because their views may be the majority view with footy fans doesn't mean it's the right one.

I think you'll find Gray is from Scotland, and that Keys is from the Himalayas.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 25 2011, 3:41 PM GMT

Indeed. Just because their views may be the majority view with footy fans doesn't mean it's the right one.

Ha, yep!

Yeah but Zoo, you know it might not be 'PC' what they said, but it's just a bit of banter of something new to the game, women linesmen. Me and my mates have similar banter down the pub, we don't mean any harm, just a bit of banter. They thought they were off air, they weren't, got caught, apologise and get a final warning. They're both legends of football broadcasting, I think 'F**k off back to the 1970's' might be a bit harsh Zoo.

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 25 2011, 3:44 PM GMT

Yeah but Zoo, you know it might not be 'PC' what they said, but it's just a bit of banter of something new to the game, women linesmen. Me and my mates have similar banter down the pub, we don't mean any harm, just a bit of banter. They thought they were off air, they weren't, got caught, apologise and get a final warning. They're both legends of football broadcasting, I think 'F**k off back to the 1970's' might be a bit harsh Zoo.

I don't think so.
It's not that it's 'not PC'. It's that it's c**tish.
I don't think it was banter, I think they were perfectly serious, you could hear from their tone they were not joking around with a smile on their faces. I expect their attitude is very widespread in the football world, including the people who hire linesmen (whoever the heck they might be!), and I'm amazed that women linesman even exist with that shit to work against.
Pretty pathetic all round.

I don't like it when Zooo swears. :(

Aw, sorry.
I shall stick to non-swears for the rest of the day!

Ermmm, I go to a lot of non-league matches where a lot of women are assistants and they get a lot of abuse from the fans, some of it being really harsh and too far. I just think 'Someone explain the offside rule to her' is just a bit of a cliche. I understand where they're coming from. Football is a male dominated game, for example I dread the world cup as questions by women regarding football matters seem to horrendously multiply during a world cup. My sister is forever asking about the offside rule, I know a few women football fans who are unsure of the rule (hell, even an experienced football fan like myself gets confused with it from time to time with all the clauses in it). So I just think they were saying how the offside rule isn't understood by women as a bit of irony.
I hate the way it's being compared with the Ron Atkinson thing. That is a gross comparison, that was just plain downright offensive.

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 25 2011, 3:54 PM GMT

I just think 'Someone explain the offside rule to her' is just a bit of a cliche. I understand where they're coming from. Football is a male dominated game, for example I dread the world cup as questions by women regarding football matters seem to horrendously multiply during a world cup. My sister is forever asking about the offside rule, I know a few women football fans who are unsure of the rule (hell, even an experienced football fan like myself gets confused with it from time to time with all the clauses in it).

You've reminded me of one of my (very) old lines :)

My wife is a stereotypical female; she doesn't understand the offside rule. She thinks that a player should be penalised if he receives the ball in an offside position, even if the last touch comes off a defender - as long as the attacking side intended to play the ball forward to the player in the advanced position in the first phase of play. What a doughnut.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ January 25 2011, 4:01 PM GMT

You've reminded me of one of my (very) old lines :)

My wife is a stereotypical female; she doesn't understand the offside rule. She thinks that a player should be penalised if he receives the ball in an offside position, even if the last touch comes off a defender - as long as the attacking side intended to play the ball forward to the player in the advanced position in the first phase of play. What a doughnut.

Laughing out loud

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3369470/Sky-Sports-Andy-Gray-and-Richard-Keys-in-sexism-row-over-lineswoman-Sian-Massey.html

Breaking News: Andy Gray has been sacked.

edit to show another incriminating vid:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1350425/Andy-Gray-Richard-Keys-fresh-storm-lewd-sexist-behaviour.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

YES. Can we get rid of Richard Keys and Alan Shearer now as well?

I am so glad Andy Gray will be nowhere near my T.V. for the foreseeable future.

Quote: zooo @ January 25 2011, 3:47 PM GMT

You could hear from their tone they were not joking around with a smile on their faces. I expect their attitude is very widespread in the football world, including the people who hire linesmen (whoever the heck they might be!), and I'm amazed that women linesman even exist with that shit to work against.

I agree with you that they are both c**ts but I think this whole affair has really has shown how views such as this won't be tolerated in football any more. Professionals and fans have come out to slate these two Neanderthals and now one has lost his job! English football is not as knuckle-dragging as it may appear and this makes me so happy! :D