Taking The Flak Page 3

I grew up in Africa, so I'm really enjoying this. I find the characters to be quite realistic. I can't understand the racism accusations, if you watch carefully you'll see that it's positive portrayal of African life.

ps I also really enjoyed the No1 Ladies Detective Agency series, Alexander McCall Smith got it spot on, and the TV series was magical, IMO.

Quote: AngieBaby @ July 22 2009, 10:41 PM BST

I can't understand the racism accusations

Nor can I. I'll watch this tomorrow. :)

Good stuff. I don't recall any accusations of racism. Greatly improved from last week. Still prefer the cameraman from E1.

Quote: Aaron @ July 22 2009, 10:54 PM BST

Good stuff. I don't recall any accusations of racism.

Not by anyone here. That was Mr A.A. Gill's review in The Sunday Times, which was referred to earlier in the thread.

Wahey! Caught this tonight and must say it was good to see the same jokes again, it must have been nearly a week since the last time I saw them.

Middle class white British journalists are fools, Africans are all very well spoken, intelligent and educated. How hilarious. Did you see what they did there, they turned the stereotype on it's head, clever stuff indeed.

I hope next week they can do a bit where the truck driver guy says something wise and erudite and the vain BBC journo says something ignorant and bigoted. That would be great.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 22 2009, 11:21 PM BST

Not by anyone here. That was Mr A.A. Gill's review in The Sunday Times, which was referred to earlier in the thread.

Ah yes.

The gimp.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 23 2009, 12:44 AM BST

Wahey! Caught this tonight and must say it was good to see the same jokes again, it must have been nearly a week since the last time I saw them.

Middle class white British journalists are fools, Africans are all very well spoken, intelligent and educated. How hilarious. Did you see what they did there, they turned the stereotype on it's head, clever stuff indeed.

I hope next week they can do a bit where the truck driver guy says something wise and erudite and the vain BBC journo says something ignorant and bigoted. That would be great.

Scarily I agree with Renegade. I need to make an appointment with my analyst and quick!

Really liking this. One of the Beeb's better ideas of late.

Evenin' all. Just joined up and have been enjoying the commentary. Have to agree with Tim for the most part - TTF looks great, there are some enjoyable performances in it but the writing is laboured and the punchlines obvious. The hour opener tested my patience, but in 30 minute bites it's a decent time-waster. Also, WTF is Ruby Wax the "designated American" in so many of your shows? No competition? She's annoying and (no surprise) has no profile at all over on this side of the Atlantic.

Anyway, good to be here - must now inject my opinions in other threads :) Wave

She has no profile there, and is the token Yank, because she lives and works here, and has been an established comic performer for almost 25 years.

Quote: Aaron @ July 30 2009, 11:53 PM BST

She has no profile there, and is the token Yank, because she lives and works here, and has been an established comic performer for almost 25 years.

Rather like some of the "professional Scots" and similar over here who wax (!) eloquent about the Auld Sod and perpetuate stereotypes, having arrived here as teenagers and haven't been back since :)

I have a feeling that Ruby Wax does actually have a home in the US, and she's been in AbFab so she will be known - but yeah. Basically. :)

Traditional religious songs. Laughing out loud

I missed it this week. :(

Please tell me they did the joke where the silly white man said something condescending to the noble African?

And if they did the bit where the African guy tries to tell them something important and they ignore him, then I'm really going to be miffed. Angry

This really is a show, isn't it?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 5 2009, 11:04 PM BST

Please tell me they did the joke where the silly white man said something condescending to the noble African?

And if they did the bit where the African guy tries to tell them something important and they ignore him, then I'm really going to be miffed. Angry

Sorry, but no.