Taking The Flak
Comedy drama following a team of journalists in a war zone who are in a state of perpetual danger, not just from bombs... but each other too
- Comedy Drama, Sitcom
- BBC Two
- 7 (1 series)
- Martin Jarvis, Doon Mackichan, Bruce Mackinnon, Joanna Brookes, Damian O'Hare, Lydiah Gitachu, Lucy Chalkley, Harry Lloyd and Kobna Holdbrook-Smith
- Tira Shubart and Jon Rolph
- Jon Rolph and Adam Miller
- Tira Shubart, Jon Rolph and Jon Plowman
An acerbic, authentic and caustic comedy drama that covers the entire progress of a small African war, as seen through the eyes of a team of journalists sending back the nightly reports for the BBC News at Ten.
Taking the Flak shows how journalists in war zones live in a state of perpetual danger not just from bombs but from disease, dysentery, bedbugs, bugged beds, their colleagues, their competitors and their loved ones, who are out of sight and out of mind. If they can't get themselves embedded with the army, they'll get embedded with each other.
The team includes the smooth, veteran correspondent; the harassed, but infinitely resourceful, producer; and the green and gauche rookie stringer. They're all dropped into a hotel and forced to choose between a room on 'the shooting side' and 'the mortar side'.
Football-mad boy soldiers, corrupt car dealers, intestinal discomfort, unexploded landmines, old flames, impromptu hostage situations, YouTube viral videos and colossal egos all combust under the African sun. There is a story to be told in Karibu - but who will get to tell it?
- Production company
- Also known as
- The Calais Rules (Working title)
- Laugh track
View recording details
- First broadcast
- Wednesday 8th July 2009 on BBC Two at 9pm
- Last new broadcast
- Wednesday 19th August 2009 on BBC Two at 10pm
- Last repeat
- Tuesday 21st July 2009 at 2:00am on BBC1