The A-Z of strikers...

... Alex Ferguson should have considered going for before going for Michael Owen. Now obviously, there will be alot of strikers on this list who aren't available for sale, but at least one of them must have been before Fergie went for Owen. This A-Z consists of 61 strikers, so if you add Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov to that list, it for me makes Owen the 64th best striker in the world. Not good enough for United if you ask me.

A Strikers
EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR
GABRIEL AGBONLAHOR
SERGIO AGUERO
NICHOLAS ANELKA
DEAN ASHTON

B Strikers
MARIO BALOTELLI-BARWUAH
DARREN BENT
KARIM BENZEMA
BOJAN

C Strikers
JOHN CAREW
PETER CROUCH

D Strikers
KEVIN DAVIES
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERRO
JERMAINE DEFOE
LANDON DONAVAN
KEVIN DOYLE
DIDIER DROGBA

E Strikers
SYLVAIN EBANKS-BLAKE
EDUARDO
SAMUEL ETO'O

F Strikers
LUIS FABIANO
DIEGO FORLAN

G Strikers
MARIO GOMEZ
GUIZA

H Strikers
THIERRY HENRY
EMILE HESKEY
GONZALO HIGUAIN
KLAAS-JAN HUNTELAAR

I Strikers
ZOLTAN IBRAHIMOVIC
FELLIPO INZAGHI

J Strikers
KENWYNE JONES

K Strikers
SALOMAN KALOU
FREDDIE KANOUTE
ROBBIE KEANE
MIROSLAV KLOSE
DIRK KUYT

L Strikers
LISANDRO LOPEZ

M Strikers
OBEFEMI MARTINS
SCOTT McDONALD
DIEGO MILITO

N Strikers
NIHAT

O Strikers
To be fair, he is the best striker in the world beginning with O

P Strikers
ALEXANDRE PATO
ROMAN PAVLYUCHENKO
LUKAS PODOLSKI

Q Strikers
He is better than any striker beginning with Q, but I can't really think of a striker beginning with Q

R Strikers
RAUL
GUISEPPE ROSSI

S Strikers
LOUIS SAHA
ROQUE SANTA CRUZ
SEMIL SENTURK

T Strikers
CARLOS TEVEZ
LUCA TONI
FERNANDO TORRES
FRANCESCO TOTTI
DAVID TREZEGUET
TUNCAY

U Strikers
Better than any strikers beginning with U, but I can't think of one.

V Strikers
RUUD VAN NISTELROOY
ROBIN VAN PERSIE
JAN VENNEGOR OF HESSELINK
CARLOS VELA
DAVID VILLA

W Strikers
Better than any striker beginning with W, but I can't think of one

X Strikers
There is his former Newcastle team-mate Xisco, but to be fair, Owen is better than him

Y Strikers
YAKUBU

Z Strikers
AMIR ZAKI (But only if Ferguson could put an end to his bad attitude and make him play the way he did at the start of the season)

Fergie would definitely take the 'I' strikers before the small one.

Doh! I thought this was going to be a whinge about the Royal Mail going on strike again. Do they have a different league for that including tube workers etc?

:)

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 7 2009, 10:02 PM BST

W Strikers
Better than any striker beginning with W, but I can't think of one

To be honest, he is better than Windass and as far as I know, he has retired.

Personally I think getting Owen is great deal if the salary reports are anything to go by. Owen is not a replacement for Ronaldo or Tevez but an extra who could turn out to be an inspired acquisition. I hear his basic could be as little as £20k but with appearance and goal bonuses that could increase to the £100k he got Newcastle. On that basis they can't lose - if he doesn't play he isn't going to cost much but he does, he'll get you goals because now he'll get decent service.

Easy to say in hindsight but I had an inkling about this deal a few weeks ago as Fergie likes to annoy the Scousers and how better to do it than to take an Anfield legend...even though he was a Toffee as a kid.

On that point it really annoyed me the way the Gabriel Heinze was prevented joining Liverpool because some petty grudge between them. I know you have to do the best for your team but forcing someone to leave the country seems ridiculous but I guess players have too much power anyway.

It was the right idea. United and Liverpool are enemies and they shouldn't trade with each other. You have to be a United or Liverpool fan (a real United fan, not one who speaks with a cockney accent) to understand the rivalry.

So is the problem with Owen merely because he's a Liverpool red? Does it make a difference that he played for other clubs inbetween? How did you feel about Paul Ince going the other way?

No, I don't mind it if there have been other clubs inbetween, just direct transfers shouldn't happen. The reason I don't want Owen is because he is injury prone, lost his pace and as my list reveals, there are 62 better strikers out there. The only positive thing for me is that it will piss the Scousers off, as we have a former legend of theres.

Quote: Tuumble @ July 7 2009, 10:44 PM BST

How did you feel about Paul Ince going the other way?

That's a revelation I missed.

Quote: Badge @ July 7 2009, 10:48 PM BST

That's a revelation I missed.

Laughing out loud

Back on topic, you're not seriously saying Owen is 64th on list Jack? OK, he's had his injuries but he's better than Darren Bent for a kick-off and a good 15-20 of those listed are well past it so they're hardly lightning quick.

Trezeguet is 32 this year and has played only eight times all season in all competitions scoring one goal. Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink hasn't even got a club having been released by Celtic and his record of 10 goals in 34 games last term isn't good enough for either of the big two in Scotland.

Quote: Tuumble @ July 7 2009, 11:24 PM BST

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink hasn't even got a club having been released by Celtic and his record of 10 goals in 34 games last term isn't good enough for either of the big two in Scotland.

On the plus side he'd get a lot of income for the club shop using the "per letter" principle for replica shirt sales.

How about Arthur Scargill?

If his name's in the squad Fergie would have to picket.

Whistling nnocently

Quote: Badge @ July 8 2009, 12:46 AM BST

If his name's in the squad Fergie would have to picket.

Whistling nnocently

groan.