Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 32

I've had my entry acknowledged. It was in my Junk Box.

Ironic, given that your entry ended up in their Junk box!

<Ba dum dum... tsch>

Thanks, I'm here all week. Try the pork...

Dan

Quote: earman2009 @ September 10 2009, 5:29 PM BST

My mind won't be at ease until I know whether or not I've been picked. Huh?

I've had my entry for last year's sitcom trials filmed. Here it is in three parts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnM5yIoWISM&feature=channel_page

Earman, just wanted to say how impressed I am with the filmed version of your sitcom. I didn't see it performed in the Trials, but that video looks really good. Did it cost you a lot to do?

Kev F

Quote: Kev F @ September 11 2009, 11:43 AM BST

Earman, just wanted to say how impressed I am with the filmed version of your sitcom. I didn't see it performed in the Trials, but that video looks really good. Did it cost you a lot to do?

Kev F

Thanks. I was really pleased with it. It didn't cost much to make, either. :)

Another film entry obstacle; my computer won't format our film images to a disc!! There's always something though if I'm being honest. On the subject of the sitcom trials, I'm curious to know how other people went about writing their entries? Did people co-writer? write alone? work in a group?

I wrote alone in a darkened room with only the voices in my head to advise me. …but I did enlist the help of close friends to check over the final edit so hopefully that took all the 'crazy' out.

Quote: Doomoth @ September 8 2009, 11:21 PM BST

That Nigerian King scam gives makes me a great idea for a sequel to Coming to America.

Doomoth, bad news, they've already done a sequel called Made in America. It starred Ted Danson and was absolutely shocking, I hope to God they don't make it a trilogy …wait, a friend just told me they already have, something called American Pie, apparently it was quite successful despite involving a graphic depiction of pastry molestation. You might want to rethink.

I wrote alone, Adam, I think you have to be the right type of person to write in partnerships, personally. I sometimes wish I had the opportunity to write in a patnership to see what I get out of it, and if it adds anything to the product, but I shouldn't think I'd take to it very well. There's always a little 'what if' niggle with me though because look how many great British sitcoms have been written by partnerhips, so, definitely something in it. I can't say the same for the idea of group writing though, that's how My Family is written isn't it? No, groups not a good idea imo.

The League of Gentlemen was written in a group though.

True, it was, but just as it was for shows like Monty Python, this group has strong mutual likes and interests, and are all fairly much of the same humour, so they're really bouncing similar ideas off each other, really like writing partnerships do. I believe that groups for shows such as MF and some others, are groups of writers selected by a chief writer/producer, in this case that American chap. They may say they have similar tastes in humour at the outset (naturally), but for me, the product gives this away as a lie. In MF's case it has merely produced a batch of badly connected stock 'funny' lines with no real homogeneity, little conviction and a complete lack of heart. That kind of unconnected, selected group is what I was referring to as no good, the other groups that work, well I'd call them more 'larger partnerships' or even writing families.

Has anyone started planning or scripting their second episode for the sitcom trials? Just so that you have an idea of where your characters are gonna go and what situations they're gonna find themselves in?

Adam, don't rush too far ahead of yourself. If (and it's a big If), you get into the finals, then worry about it.

The best thing you can do is to try and enter other writing competitions as you're awaiting the verdict of the Sitcom Trials people. If you put all your eggs into this one basket, then the subsequent rejection will hit you twice as hard.

Sorry to be the bearer of harsh reality, but you know, expect the best but prepare for the worst and other platitudes of equal measure.

Eh, have I missed something here, it looks like I have - 2nd episode? So for those lucky and good enough to get selected, if their entry gets through the first heat, does the writer then have to enter a brand new episode? And I take it that has to be of the same sitcom?

Yeah I think so. I just think it's always good to prepare different ideas in case

Quote: Adam Blaize @ September 13 2009, 11:01 PM BST

Yeah I think so. I just think it's always good to prepare different ideas in case

In case of what?

You're sort of successful and get through. Or in case companies want to look at other episode examples