Dave Allen

He was a wonderful comedian IMHO. Watch this clip, dripping with pathos. Heartbreaking and hilarious, you just know this is a true story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVjBBDMOoA

Sheer genius, one of our best comics ever.

I have to say though I preferred him like this than in the sketches. Good though they were,

Bought the best of, loved it, made no sense to me that he's never mentioned here(Ireland) as being one of our great comic minds. The sketches weren't a patch on the monologues though.

Liked the DVD enough to watch everything on YouTube and buy the book collection. Couldn't help but notice that the bits I recognised from performances had such a beautiful flow in text, as if it were all carefully constructed like a poet.

Finally found a good few full episodes of ...at Large there recently, the show worked really well. Sketches slotted in nicely and seemed a lot funnier in the show than individually.

...so yeah, I like him.

He was great. Especially in the 1970s.

Another fan here!

Great comic, and unlike a lot of todays feathweights dealt with some big themes.

Wave Count me in. I would have loved to have seen him live. Did he do such gigs? Even I who is ancient was a kid when he was at his best.

He definitely done a bit of a tour a few years before he died.

Superb, he was light years ahead of his contemporaries, and there is no one around today to match him.

He was married to a much younger woman 18 months before he passed away.

Interestingly, his father was editor of the Irish Times and his mother used to push him into being interested in Irish literature. So he used to be in the company of people like Brian O'Nolan, having them telling him stories and ranting about the structure of their stories... so, in a way, he was like the continuation of that.

One of the best stand ups ever. Doesn't get enough credit in my humble opinion. That means imho, by the way, which in itself means btw. :)

A wonderful comedian.
An absolute master of the art.

Just going to listen to the documentary on Radio 2.

It's on the iPlayer for another 7 days if any fans of Dave's work missed it.