Good, the bad and the downright crap! Page 4

His face is quite chimpish. :)

Friends. The most overrated ('popular') show in TV history, Family Guy is another. Utter trash.

The Green Green Grass - that'll annoy someone I know...

Quote: bigbasspa @ June 21 2009, 2:08 AM BST

What was that series back in the 1980s with Paul McCann, Honor Blackman and some blonde actress? I really did try to watch it but I've had more laughs having injections in the roof of my mouth. Some shows are not just not funny, they are decidedly painful.....this was definitely one of the most painful.

1990s. Joe McGann. And it was an almost word-for-word remake of your own Who's The Boss?, so don't blame us! :) (Unless you're an ex-pat, in which case I'll forgive you.) Oh, and the blonde was Diana Weston, then with Robert Lindsay, IIRC.

Quote: bigbasspa @ June 21 2009, 2:08 AM BST

Oh and I just remembered, another one that made me want to saw my own head off was 'Mind Your Language'.

That's a great series.

Quote: sootyj @ June 21 2009, 10:18 AM BST

Somelike On the Buses actually annoy me. There's maybe 3 or 4 really talented actors in that. But the scripts are so limp and joyless there's no laughs to be had.

It's one of a quickly diminishing number of sitcoms which make me laugh.

Quote: Jackson Neil @ June 21 2009, 4:17 PM BST

Friends. The most overrated ('popular') show in TV history, Family Guy is another. Utter trash.

Family Guy is fabulous!

Quote: Jackson Neil @ June 21 2009, 4:17 PM BST

Friends. The most overrated ('popular') show in TV history,

Friends is great.

Aye, that I have. I've not seen nearly enough though.

Quote: Aaron @ June 21 2009, 8:36 PM BST

Family Guy is fabulous!

All bout the opinions, I never liked it even one jot. It's one of the worst shows in television history. Absolute garbage.

"lol look how crazy, original and off the wall we can be!!!!!!" ...

http://www.collectmad.com/madcoversite/mad458printid.jpg

Futurama and prime Simpsons totally destroy it. Only Monkey Dust rivals those two in terms of best animated series ever.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 21 2009, 8:39 PM BST

Friends is great.

I always though it was utter rubbish. Overly syrupy, cutsy, juvenile 'humour' which was totally unfunny to begin with.

It sucked then and it sucks now, one of the lamest shows I've ever had the misfortune to see. It's Seinfeld by numbers, a cheap massively dumbed down imitation of a great show. Friends is dire, omnipresent, throw-away, lowest-common-denominator rubbish. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Quote: Jackson Neil @ June 22 2009, 10:22 AM BST

I always though it was utter rubbish. Overly syrupy, cutsy, juvenile 'humour' which was totally unfunny to begin with.

It sucked then and it sucks now, one of the lamest shows I've ever had the misfortune to see. It's Seinfeld by numbers, a cheap massively dumbed down imitation of a great show. Friends is dire, omnipresent, throw-away, lowest-common-denominator rubbish.

No it isn't. See how I just destroyed your entire argument? :D

It's Seinfeld by numbers

No it's not. Not remotely. They're two completely different types of show with only the most superficial of similarities.

Quote: zooo @ June 21 2009, 12:45 PM BST

His face is quite chimpish. :)

Racist.

Appart from the fact the basic concepts are almost exactly the same (a group of Friends, appartment, a coffee shop, sometimes seen at their jobs, etc, etc).

It is a Seinfeld ripoff. A safe, female orientated version- which I always found a horrible, unfunny show.

Quote: Jackson Neil @ June 22 2009, 10:37 AM BST

Appart from the fact the basic concepts are almost exactly the same (a group of Friends, appartment, coffee shop, ocassionally seen at their jobs, etc, etc).

Superficial similarities. An awful lot of sitcoms (Two Pints of Lager, Coupling, grownups etc) could be described that way. But most importantly the style of writing is completely different.

As was the ethos. Seinfeld was big on the "no hugs, no lessons" mantra while Friends was quite happy to embrace hugs and lessons.

It's one of the worst shows in television history. Absolute garbage.

Even the episode titled 'Prick Up Your Ears'?

Quote: chipolata @ June 22 2009, 10:41 AM BST

But most importantly the style of writing is completely different.

Yeah, the unique, intelligent and thought provoking (Sein) and the contrived, superficial and crap (Friends).

As was the ethos. Seinfeld was big on the "no hugs, no lessons" mantra while Friends was quite happy to embrace hugs and lessons.

Fair point, I suppose, but you can make a sitcom which (at times) touches on the hugs and lessons mantra, but with writing and humour that's actually intelligent and of a very good quality (Cheers for eg). Friends is overkill of mushy, sentimental, rubbish. As it was Seinfeld was a break from the normal mould and that's partially what made it great (along with scripts, writing, characters etc).

Quote: Jackson Neil @ June 22 2009, 11:01 AM BST

Friends is overkill of mushy, sentimental, rubbish.

Not it isn't. It's a great show. Beautifully written and acted.

I guess we'll just have to amicably disagree on that one. Sorry.