Harry H Corbett

Can't believe there hasn't been a thread about this comedy legend already. Born in Burma but brought up in my home town of Manchester, many people say Wilfred Brambell's Albert stole the show in Steptoe, but I disagree, I think Corbett's Harold did. Such a brilliant actor and his appearance as Harold Steptoe must surely rank as one of the greatest in sitcom history.

Both great in my opinion. I like the fact Galton and Simpson say that they ruined Corbett's career. That's the spirit, lads. One of the most visceral yet poignant sitcoms of all time.

Whether they did or not is another matter. But a great thing on Corbett's CV, paticulary as he starred in what is probably the greatest acted sitcom of all time.

I always felt that Harold was the better of the two (in terms of performance etc, not morals).

Actors don't really get typecast like that anymore, I think.

Maybe an idea for a new thread?

It's amazing to think how different the actors were to the characters they played. Both had very posh well spoken accents and took acting very seriously. Pity they hated each other so much.

I think the stuff about how much they hated each other is overplayed. Curse of Steptoe and all that. I don't think they were that posh either. Corbett was from Manchester and Brambell from Ireland. They were both very fine actors.

A lot of actors don't get on. John Challis and Sue Holderness (Boycie and Marlene) can't stand each other. There's a lot of colleagues etc a lot of people don't like, but they have to work together.

I believe Warren Mitchell and Dandy Nichols also hated each other, but the worst was Hilda Baker and Jimmy Jewell from Nearest and Dearest. Apparantly it was raining really heavily one day after filming and Jimmy was in his car and saw Hilda walking in the pouring rain. So he pulled his window down and asked her if she wanted a lift, she replied F**k Off.

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 6 2009, 3:58 PM BST

the worst was Hilda Baker and Jimmy Jewell from Nearest and Dearest. Apparantly it was raining really heavily one day after filming and Jimmy was in his car and saw Hilda walking in the pouring rain. So he pulled his window down and asked her if she wanted a lift, she replied F**k Off.

Apologies for mentioning this (as it has been mentioned elsewhere), but Hylda Baker's recording of You're the One that I Want with Arthur Mullard was an instant classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_MSi0MhM_c
It's as if Marianne Faithful and a decrepit Stanley Holloway are doing a duet. Sounds wonderful. Hylda has a great voice.

Back on topic, here are a couple of Harry H. Corbett's novelty records: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaUKxx7fwc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PiVmVktb60
Much less exciting.

Quote: Griff @ June 3 2009, 10:00 PM BST

Plus he was terrific in Carry On Screaming.

Bought it today, I've never seen it before. Was Harry good in it and is it a good film?

Quote: Dave @ June 5 2009, 1:28 AM BST

A lot of actors don't get on. John Challis and Sue Holderness (Boycie and Marlene) can't stand each other.

Really? I've not heard that one before. Where'd you get it from?

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 22 2009, 8:22 PM BST

Bought it today, I've never seen it before. Was Harry good in it and is it a good film?

Some people name it as their favourite Carry On, but I don't think much of it at all. He does make a great performance though.

Cleo's certainly great. Still wouldn't have said it's the best, but very good.

We're going off topic though.

Harry was a very good dramatic actor, saw him in a 1979 episode of Shoestring and thought his performance was excellent

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 22 2009, 8:22 PM BST

It's worth it just to see and hear Fenella Fielding. RRRAAWWRRR.