The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air

I just did a search, and I'm shocked to see we have never had a thread discussing this great American sitcom.

I'm personally a big fan of the show. Although I didn't actually give it a chance when I was a kid, now that I've seen it as an adult I'm glad I gave it a try and I wish I had seen it when I was younger.

This was probably my favourite scene-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYTOmEwz2VM

And that theme tune is amongst the best in a sitcom ever in my opinion: such a catchy song and great visuals at the same time-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBe0VCso0qs

Anyway, what is everyone's thoughts on the show?

I noticed that as well, and was thinking of starting a thread.

I thought it was funny, was it a kids show ?
Will Smith was very good in this and Carlton & Hilary were both great characters.

Great show. And a great final episode, with Arnold Jackson and Mr Drummond coming on to consider buying the place.

Quote: Kenneth @ May 1 2009, 3:46 PM BST

Great show. And a great final episode, with Arnold Jackson and Mr Drummond coming on to consider buying the place.

Really ?

I never saw that.

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ May 1 2009, 3:49 PM BST

Really ?

I never saw that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odPiNU8G1es

Cheers Kenneth
I'll check that out when I get home
(youtube is blocked at work)

I remember, about a year after the show finished, the guy who played Geoffrey the Butler appeared in a short-lived soap opera, which was filmed not far from where I lived, in Southport. It featured a mostly-black cast, and was shown on a Friday night, on BBC 2. As for today, I heard he now owns a small theatre, in London.

The show doesn't seem to get the credit it deserves. Then again, Dj Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince never really get the credit they deserve either. A lot of people think it's cool to slag them off, for just being a Pop group, but real Hip hop fans will always admit that they were one of the most exciting groups out, back in the '80s. Will Smith told some great little stories in his songs, and Jazzy Jeff was actually a World Champion Scratch DJ, after winning a big competition, called the New Music Seminar. Their live shows were great. Here's a clip of them performing one of their old songs, in 2005: DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince - Brand New Funk 2K5

I saw Geoffrey on the tube once!
Highlight of my life, that.

I loved the show when I was a kid, and I always watch it now if I come across it.

Quote: catskillz @ May 1 2009, 6:15 PM BST

I remember, about a year after the show finished, the guy who played Geoffrey the Butler appeared in a short-lived soap opera, which was filmed not far from where I lived, in Southport. It featured a mostly-black cast, and was shown on a Friday night, on BBC 2. As for today, I heard he now owns a small theatre, in London.

:O He was English? But his accent sucked!

Quote: catskillz @ May 1 2009, 6:15 PM BST

The show doesn't seem to get the credit it deserves. Then again, Dj Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince never really get the credit they deserve either. A lot of people think it's cool to slag them off, for just being a Pop group, but real Hip hop fans will always admit that they were one of the most exciting groups out, back in the '80s. Will Smith told some great little stories in his songs, and Jazzy Jeff was actually a World Champion Scratch DJ, after winning a big competition, called the New Music Seminar. Their live shows were great. Here's a clip of them performing one of their old songs, in 2005: DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince - Brand New Funk 2K5

Joseph Marcell (Geoffrey) was also in EastEnders last year or year before.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air was a great show and Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince are my favourite rap group. Can't believe it started nearly twenty years ago! Has anyone here seen the sitcom Will Smith Co-created, "All of Us"? If so, ay good?

Great show. I liked the "Soul Train" episode. I also loved Carlton and his dances. And Geoffrey. Not a comedy moment, but when Will's father leaves is very touching.

Earman, "All Of Us" is horrible. Avoid.

Loved "I think I can beat Mike Tyson" - Smith has a real comic touch. And the Fresh Prince was THE show to watch at school.

Top family show. Brilliant performances. What they got right was letting Will do his thing and shine. Fantastic entertainment.

Quote: thefridaylink @ May 1 2009, 11:54 PM BST

Loved "I think I can beat Mike Tyson" - Smith has a real comic touch.

Agreed. Never massively keen on the show, but he's great at comedy. Although when you hear him talking about films nowadays he does talk of them as if they're products.