Tommy Cooper's death Page 2

Quote: SlagA @ April 26 2009, 10:29 PM BST

Played what? Chess?

Pirate

Yes that's right. Chess. He was a big chess fan as well as being an ex-World Champion at Backgammon :P

Quote: SlagA @ April 26 2009, 10:29 PM BST

:) I do worry sometimes that I project a granite face... and heart.

Pff, you're the biggest bunny wabbit on the board!

Quote: Seefacts @ April 26 2009, 9:27 PM BST

I've not seen this mentioned on the forum, but the clip has actually been upped to YouTube.

I'd be really interested to hear peoples' thoughts on the fact that this much fabled snippet has actually made it into the public domain 25 years after it happened.

I'm really not sure what to say. I'm glad I was able to see it. The image was replaying in my mind for a while after I first watched. I'd be really interested in seeing the rest of the show from where the clip cuts out. But it's all a bit surreal to see.

Quote: Jane P @ April 26 2009, 9:38 PM BST

I remember seeing this at the time, very sad and shocking, but I wouldn't view it now.

I don't blame people for watching but were his family consulted do you know?

Do their feelings come into it at all? Or doesn't that matter as long as it gets enough hits?

Jx

It's on YouTube. Neither hits nor family come into it. IIRC someone commented that it was taken from some kind of Dutch clip show. The question should really be wether they should have shown it.

Quote: roscoff @ April 26 2009, 10:28 PM BST

Insignificant fact number 128. I played at the unveiling of his statue in his home town Caerphilly. That is all. :)

Oh wow. Impressive. I was there last year. Quite a striking feature, and a good location.

Interesting mini-bio on Wikipedia mentioning his stinginess, excessive drinking and wife-beating: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Cooper

Wow. I've been wondering when this would finally show up on YouTube.

I was one of the unfortunates that saw this live. I was 13 and like everyone else thought it was all part of the act.

What that clip doesn't show is Tommy being dragged offstage beneath the curtains by unseen hands. As I remember the sight of his huge, ridiculous feet slowly disappearing beneath the curtain got the biggest laugh of the night. And then they cut to the adverts. I'm pretty sure that's how it happened anyway.

Hey, at least he went out making them laugh. Bless you Tommy.

From what (perhpas slightly garbled accounts) I've read, I was under the impression that it carried on a little longer before the ads, but interesting to hear that Lee. Thanks.

The one thing I keep reminding myself is that, despite the indignity of it, he was an entertainer throughout his life, and I can't help but think that he'd have taken consolation in the fact that he went out still entertaining millions.

On a related ish note, his family continued to operate a joke shop on Slough High Street right up until the late 1990s, called Cooper's Magic Shop. I loved that shop. F**king Wilkinsons on the site now. Angry

I saw it live as well. I was 14. Also remember the feet as Lee says. Regret watching again now. Strange to hear the laughing but perhaps fitting. Good to see Les Dawson get a mention on here as well.

The people that run YouTube are twats. There was a story the other week, about a video someone had put up on the site, of the Hillsborough disaster, with the word "DIE!!" flashing over the scenes of fans being crushed to death, which the site bosses had refused to take down. They also refuse to remove the videos that teenage gangs from London have been uploading, on which they boast about stabbings, and taunt their rivals.

Other British Comedy > Tommy Cooper's death on YouTube?

General Discussion surely.

For a long time now I've had a somewhat morbid desire to see the clip. I was slightly surprised though to see that it has been put on YouTube.

Quote: Morrace @ April 27 2009, 5:52 AM BST

Tommy Cooper = British comedian with long-running TV show.
Other British Comedy = British comedy and comedians, not necessarily in sitcoms.
General Discussion = Irrelevant stuff, generally not about sitcoms or British TV comedy.
Death = For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

Quote: Morrace @ April 27 2009, 5:52 AM BST

Quote: Kenneth @ April 27 2009, 9:35 AM BST

Tommy Cooper = British comedian with long-running TV show.
Other British Comedy = British comedy and comedians, not necessarily in sitcoms.
General Discussion = Irrelevant stuff, generally not about sitcoms or British TV comedy.

I stand corrected.

Loved the visual double-entendre when Tommy looked down at the assistant fastening his clothing. The moment he fell back - the laughter; confirming the secret of good comedy - timing. Although I heard it was a lot funnier at dress rehearsal. And the 'croak' he gave out at the end - it wasn't actually a 'croak' - it was Outer-Mongolian for "Just like that!". Genius.

Just watched the clip and I feel terrible now, I also watched it live on TV at the time but I was very young, but I don't think we knew he had died until after the show was broadcast etc, I hope this clip is removed from YouTube and the internet - not nice at all!:(

I'm glad I haven't and won't be watching it.

Just watched it, the worst bit for me was his fez falling over his face as he slumped backwards. Very sad. Wish I hadn't watched it now.