What are you writing? Page 9

Going to start work on editing my very poorly ended sitcom today.

A new routine, for when I get around to actually doing any stand-up. Probably a good 12 months away, which will give me time to write some decent material. So far, I have the opening gag. Lots of 'opportunities'.

12 months!

Quote: Park Bench @ May 21 2011, 3:25 PM BST

A new routine, for when I get around to actually doing any stand-up. Probably a good 12 months away, which will give me time to write some decent material. So far, I have the opening gag. Lots of 'opportunities'.

You realise you'll only be expected to do about five minutes of material when you start?

A whole year seems rather a long time to get that together!

Quote: Ben @ May 21 2011, 9:38 AM BST

Going to start work on editing my very poorly ended sitcom today.

Good to hear you got through a full draft!

I have a few other things to get out of the way, before I can fully focus on comedy, and I need to raise my game a bit. My current gags are very weak, so I need to refine my writing technique.

A pantomime.

Quote: Park Bench @ May 21 2011, 6:06 PM BST

I have a few other things to get out of the way, before I can fully focus on comedy, and I need to raise my game a bit. My current gags are very weak, so I need to refine my writing technique.

Whilst I applaud this dedication to getting the material honed the truth is that you need to develop the gags alongside developing your stagecraft, the two processes go hand in hand.

Also, even the best comics can't judge their material until they've put it out there in front of an audience, I written what I thought were killer jokes which bombed on stage and jokes which I thought were weak which have stormed it.

Personally, and feel free to ignore me completely, I would say give yourself a month or two to develop your act but get some gigs booked in, most clubs will have a waiting list anyway, also nothing focuses the mind like having an upcoming deadline.

Am writing a novel to be finished next month. Anybody got any good ideas?

I'll murder more folk in Norfolk!

Laughter, slaughter and a pint of Porter.
In American Psycho meets the Darling Buds of May

Quote: Marc P @ May 30 2011, 10:45 AM BST

Am writing a novel to be finished next month. Anybody got any good ideas?

To save time, just copy the bible and change all the names. For example, instead of 'Jesus', write 'Nick Griffin'. You're guaranteed a reaction.

I have got a character called Bible Steve in it - so that might work!

Unfortunately Sootyj it is set in London! But I like the thinking! :)

Just starting First Draft re-writes on the SAS thing I started on in April.
Turned out pretty good - went down well with the producers so that's something.
Potential director in town week-after-next, so I've got to ge a bit of a wriggle on.
Hence wasting time posting on here.
Doh!

@MarcP - once your in the 'zone' (!) what's your average word count for a day?
I found it terrifically slow going when I penned my magnum opus - as will the reader, possibly, should it ever get published.
Screenplay pages seem to fly by, though.

*carries on mini Marc P interview*

Do you still write in a shed?
How many hours a day do you write?
Do one of those 'My Writing Day' descriptions they always do in magazines!

He's lived in the shed ever since his wife kicked him out for braying the kids.

It's not his fault he's a slave to the Ace.

Now could you lend him fooking £1.49 alright so he can buy the bairns their microchips.

I'm currently writing a song which I'm going to submit to The Treason Show if I can get the words to fit.

It's called Super Injunction and it's to the tune of the ABBA song Super Trouper.