What are you writing? Page 13

Quote: Lazzard @ January 9 2013, 9:29 AM GMT

The general form vis a vis getting stuff read is to post a few (5 max) pages in Critique.
If you get any takers, that's the point to ask for a full read.
it's a lot to ask and people need to know they're not about to get a load of tripe.
Good luck.

Edit: just spotted you have something in Critique now.
Sorry.

Thanks for letting me know. I now have two things in the critique section. Is this ok or are there limits to how many things a user can post?

If you start regularly getting no replies, it might be time to back off.
Otherwise, fill your boots.
Not too long though.

Just the first 5 pages. I've added a few extra pages as well.

And don't worry COMMUNITY BOBBY and SILENCE IS DEADLY are the only two sitcoms I have wrote.

I plan on sending SID off but I just want to know if it is funny or not because I don't feel I can trust my friends and family (they're too nice -- except my father he speaks his mind way too often) and I know that people on here have experience :)

Quote: paul brown @ January 10 2013, 8:11 PM GMT

Just the first 5 pages. I've added a few extra pages as well.

And don't worry COMMUNITY BOBBY and SILENCE IS DEADLY are the only two sitcoms I have wrote.

I plan on sending SID off but I just want to know if it is funny or not because I don't feel I can trust my friends and family (they're too nice -- except my father he speaks his mind way too often) and I know that people on here have experience :)

Well, I read SID, and whilst it's very assured (I got the giggles over the guy in the next cubicle on the phone)
I do wonder where you can take such a crass character.
Does he 'change' over the series?
It's what you'd do in a film, anyway.
SitCom characters tend not to grow, though - and I wonder if you want to get stuck with someone so unredeemable - hard to say.
I guess the model is 'Curb' - might be worth looking at the structure of those.
Good luck with it - do you have just a pilot or is the rest of it mapped out?
You will be asked!

Edit: The thing with "Curb" is he's actually right, but goes the wrong way about things - his uncompromising attitude gets him into trouble.
Is Derek 'right' - or just an arse?
That'll be the trick.

I am a huge fan of CURB and I will admit that I have loosely based Derek around Larry David but obviously with differences. I have most of the series set out, as I did with COMMUNITY BOBBY, before I started writing I had all the Character Profile's planned and every episode. And in answer to Derek as a character, he is a kind hearted and often misunderstood fool and he is despised by his father in law.

Would you be interested in reading any more of the script?

i would, but I can't for a fortnight - I've got a screaming urgent re-write to finish.
Nag me in a couple of weeks if you can wait that long!

Cheers

Haha okay no problem. Best of luck with the re-write :)