Sitcom - first scene Page 2

SCENE 1. INT. CARERS CHARITY SHOP – DAY 1 8:45AM

ANNIE (FRUMPY, MID 50'S, SUBMISSIVE) IS DRESSING A SHOP MANNEQUIN. SHE PLACES SOME FANCY RED SHOES AT THE FEET AND STRAIGHTENS OUT THE MATCHING ELEGANT BALL GOWN.
EDITH (SHORT, SKINNY, LATE 50'S, AUTHORITIVE) BARGES HER OUT THE WAY AND STICKS A COAT OVER THE TOP AND A BASEBALL CAP ON THE HEAD

EDITH:
Have I not taught you anything about working in a charity shop?

This line sounds like bad exposition, it doesn't sound like a sentence a person would actually say. We should already know from the setting that it is a charity shop, this line is just over-emphasizing the point unneccesarily, I feel. It'd sound better as something simple like "You still don't get it do you?".

ANNIE:
Sorry Edie I just thought it might (PAUSE) you know (PAUSE) look pretty

You could probably cut this line and just combine Edith's sentences in to one, get straight to the point.

EDITH:
The more clothes on the dummy

EDITH & ANNIE:
The more chance of making money

DEBBIE (PRETTY TEENAGE GIRL) WALKS OUT OF THE BACK ROOM CARRYING A CHARITY BAG.
EDITH DOESN'T NOTICE HER AND JUST PEERS THROUGH THE CLOSED BLINDS.

EDITH:
Look at that. The busiest week of the charity shop year and they've got five bags.

Again, sounds like bad exposition.

SHE TURNS TO ANNIE AND DEBBIE WHO ARE NOW SEARCHING THROUGH THEIR ONLY CHARITY BAG

EDITH:
Five bags for an animal charity! It makes you feel sick. The last time we got five bags three of them were from Annie.
How many have we got today?

And again.

DEBBIE:
This is it

EDITH:
One bag! One Bag! (PAUSE) the busiest week of the charity shop calendar and we have got one bag!

And again.

DEBBIE:
Why is it the biggest week of the year?

EDITH:
It's freshers week at the university.

ANNIE:
What's that got to do with us?

EDITH:
It means an endless stream of students will be coming through our door wanting to be pirates, cavemen, superheroes.
Think Mr Benn times twenty thousand.

A fairly decent gag and sets up the plot well, probably could be structured a little better.

DEBBIE:
Won't they just go to the fancy dress shop?

EDITH:
They're students Debbie. They are notoriously tight with their money.
Just like our usual customers but with all the original parts.

ANNIE:
Well what are we going to do Edie?

EDITH:
Don't worry Annie. If we do this right it could be our most profitable week of the year. What have we got in that bag?

DEBBIE:
A puzzle.

EDITH:
Two pound.

DEBBIE:
It says twenty pieces missing.

EDITH:
A pound then.

DEBBIE:
It's only a twenty five piece puzzle.

Good gag

EDITH:
Forget the puzzle. What else?

Get rid.

ANNIE:
A skipping rope and a Jane Fonda workout tape.

EDITH:
That's more like it good girl Annie.

DEBBIE:
A wig.

EDITH:
Oh, This must my Mrs Andrews bag.

DEBBIE PUTS THE WIG ON AND STARTS MODELLING IT

DEBBIE:
Why would you donate a wig? Surely you don't want people to know you're bald.

EDITH:
I don't suppose she's too bothered.

DEBBIE:
Why not?

EDITH:
She died last week.

DEBBIE THROWS THE WIG TO THE FLOOR IN DISGUST

Good gag

EDITH:
Alright keep your wig on.

EDITH LAUGHS TO HERSELF AT HER BAD JOKE

Not sure about that line

EDITH:
I'm pretty sure she didn't die of a virulent strain of nits. Anyway that's a good start to our fancy dress pile.

ANNIE HOLDS UP A VIDEO

ANNIE:
Ooh. The Full Monty that's the last one we need.

ANNIE RISES TO HER FEET AGAIN AND SHUFFLES OVER TO A SHELVING AREA. CAMERA CUTS TO THE SHELF WHERE A WHOLE ROW OF FULL MONTY VIDEOS ALREADY SIT WITH ROOM FOR JUST ONE MORE. ANNIE ADDS THE VIDEO TO THE SHELF AND THEN SITS BACK DOWN.

Really like that gag

EDITH:
Are there any clothes in there?

DEBBIE LOOKS INTO THE BAG

DEBBIE:
Some.

EDITH:
Anything fancy dressish?

Could cut those three lines in to one and just have Edith say "Is there any thing fancy dressish in there?"

DEBBIE:
Not unless its nineteen eighties unfashionable pensioner night at the student union.

EDITH:
Not usually until the Friday no.

EDITH:
Annie get the local paper and read me the obituaries.

ANNIE PUSHES HERSELF UP AND WADDLES OUT TO THE BACK ROOM. SHE COMES BACK WITH THE PAPER READING OUT THE OBITUARIES.

ANNIE:
Barbara Jennings forever in our hearts.

EDITH:
What a shame.

DEBBIE:
Was she a friend?

EDITH:
Not really, but her husband was a pilot. If only it were him. We could have got £20 for an authentic pilot outfit.

Really nice gag and I love the idea behind it

ANNIE:
What about (PAUSE) Mary Ann Davis, you will be sorely missed.

EDITH:
Excellent. She was in the Chideock players she must have a few costumes left over. Get me some charity bags.

ANNIE RUSHES OUT TO THE BACKROOM AGAIN.

EDITH:
I'll pop in to the care home on the way back they must have something for us in lost property after the amount of money we sent their way last year.

DEBBIE:
How does someone in a care home lose their clothes, they never leave!

EDITH:
Well they don't technically.

DEBBIE:
What do you mean technically?

EDITH:
Well if anyone has anything particularly nice in the wardrobe the staff "lose it" in the washing.

DEBBIE:
That's totally immoral. I'm here to help these people not steal from them.

EDITH:
Don't be so airy fairy. This is the modern age of the charity worker. We've got eBay to contend with and we can't possibly compete with Primark's prices.

DEBBIE:
All the same I don't think we should be stealing from the people we are meant to help.

EDITH:
It all goes back to them in the end. Most of them in there can't even remember to get dressed anyway let alone choose an outfit.

DEBBIE:
(SHOCKED) Edith

A good idea, but goes on a bit too long, needs reworking

EDITH RUSTLES AROUND UNDER THE COUNTER AND COMES OUT WITH AN EYE PATCH ON AND HOLDING A WALKING STICK.
ANNIE SHUFFLES BACK IN AND GIVES THE CHARITY BAGS TO EDITH.

EDITH:
How do I look?

DEBBIE:
Like a pirate

EDITH:
You're right. I can use this in the fancy dress section. Right now you two tidy this place up, but make sure you go through all those clothes first.

EDITH GOES TO LEAVE

EDITH:
Oh, and what is the golden rule about checking clothes Annie.

ANNIE:
If the trousers are wet, wash your hands don't forget.

EDITH:
Not that one. Check every zip and every pocket, follow this tip and your profits will rocket.

I like these little phrases they have, good insight to the characters

EDITH GOES TO LEAVE AGAIN

DEBBIE:
Do you really think we should be troubling these people, their grieving.

EDITH:
They put an advert in the paper.

DEBBIE:
That's not an advert it's a death notice.

Nice gag

EDITH:
Well if the bereaved won't bring the bags to us, we will go and get them ourselves.

DEBBIE:
How tactless

EDITH:
What are you talking about. These are classic charity shop tactics. You have a lot to learn my girl. I'd be surprised if her over the road hasn't already pounced on them.
Now get this place sorted and check those pockets.

Again that last sentence could do with cutting down and rewording

Overall some good ideas and definite potential. One of the very first scripts I ever wrote was based in a charity shop.

Keep at it, but don't be too quick to send it out, make sure it is the best it can possibly be. :)

Good points by Martin there.

Thanks for all the response. I have just edited my original post to show my latest draft of the first scene. (Just in case anyone was interested in seeing it)

This is coming together; the wig gag is much better set up and I love the pantomine horse stuff.

Your feedback was great Timbo. Glad you like the changes. anythingthat's still not working for you?

I think you need to give Debbie more of a personality. All she seems to be doing at the minute is asking questions to highlight Edith's personality.

-----------------------------------------------

You should reinstate this line:

EDITH:
Not that one. Check every zip and every pocket, follow this tip and your profits will rocket.

This joke seems a little contrived and doesn't really work. Especially with the pause:

EDITH:
Well if the bereaved won't bring the bags to us, we will go and get them ourselves. Think of me as the charity shops Robin Hood.

DEBBIE:
I think of you more as robbing (PAUSE) old people.

You should keep the pilot joke as:

EDITH:
Not really, but her husband was a pilot. If only it were him. We could have got £20 for an authentic pilot outfit.

Maybe shorten it a little as it's a bit long and clumsy at the minute.

Move on from the wig gag at:

DEBBIE THROWS THE WIG TO THE FLOOR IN DISGUST

At that point the gag isn't going to get any funnier. Best to move on to the next gag straight away.

Quote: Tom G @ April 11 2009, 6:39 PM BST

I have just edited my original post to show my latest draft of the first scene. (Just in case anyone was interested in seeing it)

Well, you seem to have ignored this piece of advice from Martin H.

Quote: Martin H @ April 11 2009, 6:26 PM BST

We should already know from the setting that it is a charity shop, this line is just over-emphasizing the point unneccesarily, I feel.

For instance; I think this:
________________________________________________________________________________

ANNIE (FRUMPY, MID 50'S, SUBMISSIVE) IS DRESSING A SHOP MANNEQUIN. SHE PLACES SOME FANCY RED SHOES AT THE FEET AND STRAIGHTENS OUT THE MATCHING ELEGANT BALL GOWN.
EDITH (SHORT, SKINNY, LATE 50'S, AUTHORITIVE) BARGES HER OUT THE WAY.

EDITH:
Have I not taught you anything about working in a charity shop?

ANNIE:
Sorry Edie I just thought it might (PAUSE) you know (PAUSE) look pretty

EDITH:
The more clothes on the dummy

EDITH PLACES A BASEBALL CAP ON TOP OF THE MANNEQUIN AND A BOMBER JACKET OVER THE DRESS

EDITH & ANNIE:
The more chance of making money

Should be cut down to this:
________________________________________________________________________________

EDITH (SHORT, SKINNY, LATE 50'S, AUTHORITIVE) BARGES HER OUT THE WAY AND PLACES A BASEBALL CAP ON TOP OF THE MANNEQUIN WITH A BOMBER JACKET OVER THE DRESS

EDITH:
The more clothes on the dummy -

EDITH & ANNIE:
The more we make money.

Don't forget, there have been been at least two 'Charity Shop Flops' - therefore yours will have to be head and shoulders above them - and then some!

Good luck! :)

Sage advice from Morrace.

The change to the pilot gag was on a suggestion of mine; I felt it would push the gag to mislead a bit further, but maybe Ben is right to keep it simple.

However given that this is a studio sitcom with a plot that does not attempt to be credible (nothing wrong with that) I would not worry too much about overplaying gags.

You know I agree with Ben's comments about Debbie.

I would stick with nits rather than dandruff, it is more disgusting and fits with Edies's age.

Quote: Timbo @ April 11 2009, 10:12 PM BST

I would stick with nits rather than dandruff, it is more disgusting and fits with Edies's age.

:O
Nits:

Also known as: Headlice. The medical term for an infestation of head lice -particularly prevalent in schoolchildren.

http://tinyurl.com/dgttao

Sorry, Timbo. Me nit-picking again. :)

Ah, but Edie is of the generation who were likely to have had nits a kid. Trust me old people reminisce a lot about nits. (Or maybe that is just my family...)

Quote: Timbo @ April 11 2009, 10:51 PM BST

Ah, but Edie is of the generation who were likely to have had nits a kid. Trust me old people reminisce a lot about nits. (Or maybe that is just my family...)

Nits are ongoing. They are not a thing of the past like the black plague! 'Trust me'? Why should I trust you? I don't know you! Anyway as you say '(Or maybe that is just my family...)- I'd catch nits off you.

Finally; I myself am an old person and I do not reminisce about nits. The only thing I reminisce about is my long-gone sex life which was fabulous! There was one night when I came home early, deliberately leaving the top two buttons of my shirt unbuttoned so a gap exposing my chiseled hairy chest was visible. Doris (the Mrs) enjoyed running her fingers across my chest and that's just one of the many things she does that turned me me on (last century). I wore a pair of tight jeans and went commando so my (then) massive cock was plainly visible. I knew the first thing Doris would do is stare at my cock from a distance as I walked down the corridor -- Sorry, I've gotta stop there and pop up to the loo for a bit of comic relief.

Just to say, this is a couple of scenes from my sitcom and it displays that charity shops aren't a new idea.
Sorry about the format, it doesn't seem to come up as in my docs

SC 6 INT CHARITY SHOP
BRENDA IS BEHIND THE COUNTER
SERVING A CUSTOMER. ELSIE COMES
IN FROM THE BACK ROOM. THE CUSTOMER
LEAVES AND THE SHOP IS EMPTY. ELSIE
HOLDS UP A COCKTAIL DRESS.
ELSIE
Look what's come in.
BRENDA
Wow! That's ideal.
ELSIE
With, shoes to match.
SHE HOLDS OUT THE GLITTERY SHOES.

BRENDA
Bargain!

ELSIE
It will be when I trick Tom
in to giving me seventy quid for 'em.
THEY BOTH DOUBLE UP LAUGHING.

BRENDA
I think Jack's getting suspicious.
ELSIE
Why?
BRENDA
He asked had I ever fancied going
on a cruise.
ELSIE
And?
BRENDA
I said only rich people went on
them. I don't know how long we
can bluff though, Elsie I'm getting'
nervous.
ELSIE
All the more reason to go on hols.
Don't worry, I'm dealing with it.
We'll sail through it.

A later scene

SC 12 INT CHARITY SHOP
BRENDA
Well, did you get your seventy
quid?
ELSIE
Not yet but trust me, I will.
BRENDA
Guess what we got a load of this
morning.

ELSIE
What?
WE FOLLOW THEM INTO THE BACK ROOM.
STACKED UP IN THE CORNER ARE DOZENS
OF PACKETS OF PINK TOILET ROLLS.
BRENDA
Compliments of a company in
liquidation, so to speak.
ELSIE
I'll take 'em!
THEY CRACK UP LAUGHING

Quote: Morrace @ April 11 2009, 8:14 PM BST

Well, you seem to have ignored this piece of advice from Martin H.

I hadn't ignored I just hadn't read it before editing the post. Although I don't agree with everything he said.

I don't ignore peoples advice. A few people have mentioned things which I have changed but at the end of the day its my decision. I don't think everything should be cut down so its just punchline after punchline. Sometimes a bit of a build up makes for a better joke.

Quote: Tom G @ April 11 2009, 11:57 PM BST

I hadn't ignored I just hadn't read it before editing the post. Although I don't agree with everything he said.

I don't ignore peoples advice. A few people have mentioned things which I have changed but at the end of the day its my decision. I don't think everything should be cut down so its just punchline after punchline. Sometimes a bit of a build up makes for a better joke.

Oh definitely a good build up can really help a joke. It's just the uneccessary build-up I was disputing, which wasn't really adding to a joke and felt more like bad exposition. Just trying to help, there's some good stuff in there, but needs re-working a bit. :)

Sorry, Tom G

Maybe 'ignore' was the wrong word; let's say 'overlooked'. :)

Yes, I agree with you when you say 'at the end of the day its my decision.' You obviously have the courage of your own convictions.

On reading that, it looks like a bit of sarcasm - I assure you it's not.

Again - Good Luck! :)