Where do you write?

I've been finding increasingly hard to concentrate while writing.

Normally I will sit in the lounge or on the kitchen table, but I find myself doing anything other than getting down to the business of writing.

I also seemed to have developed this crazy habit of pressing the send and recive button on the email every 30 seconds. Or check BSG or BBC news it's driving me mad.......

But with having a book to write, I've spent the morning clearing out the the spare bedroom and making it into a writing office. No TV, no music and not even facing the window! We will see if the word count increases!

Anyway do you have similar concentration problems and where do you write?

Concentration camp?

Actually I have music/TV/BSG on pretty constantly.
They enable to me zone in and out no distractions and I can't write.

I write in the bath or with headphones on to drown out exterior sound. I'm opposite to Soots. I need detachment.

To be honest, Big Fella, I'd use this time to brainstorm as much material as you can onto paper and then see where natural divisions and sections occur. That way it's easier to organise material and you don't have to write A to Z in one terrifying linear sequence, you can write C as the muse strikes then move onto another section.
:)

I used to do it as late as possible. 11pm onwards. I feel full of writing energy then for some reason.

On my days off - the thought of writing at 2 in the afternoon or something seems, well, horrible.

Actually putting pen to paper happens with me slumped on the couch, with the TV on, or at my desk at work.

I've only had one job I could write at. I could finish my day's work in about an hour, and that left the rest of the day for writing.
If I'd had internet access on my computer I'd have been doing that too. Luckily, I suppose, I didn't.
Really I was being paid for doing hardly anything. I loved that job...

I used to think I needed a 'special place' or time to write but the more I do it the more I realise that writing exists in your head not where you are. Things can trigger your mind or give you peace but when a deadline is looming I can pretty much write anywhere. Plus most of my new ideas are triggered by real life so it depends on what stage you are at with writing. You probably need peace at the editing stage but maybe not as much in the story generating stage.

Nothing focuses the mind quite so much as a deadline. And nothing unfocuses it quite so sweetly this evening as a shot of Maker's Mark. :)

What do you write Zoo?

I had my garage converted into an office space. My mistake was to put a comfy sofa in there as well...it's too easy to lie on whilst searching for "inspiration", and never get up again.

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 5 2009, 5:42 PM BST

I had my garage converted into an office space.

I'd love a writing room now, a room which also has no connection to the internet. No chance at the moment though as my flat doesn't have a spare room, and I hate to sit in my bedroom working!

I've got a converted garage too. It's nice. French windows out on to the garden. Bit gloomy at the far end though.

I have a bedroom converted into a study, but often enough just sit in the lounge with my laptop on my lap watching television. You never know when you can hear a good line you can use. :)

Quote: Marc P @ April 5 2009, 5:59 PM BST

I have a bedroom converted into a study, but often enough just sit in the lounge with my laptop on my lap watching television. You never know when you can hear a good line you can use. :)

Do you just have Doctors playing on a loop?

Quote: Badge @ April 5 2009, 6:02 PM BST

Do you just have Doctors playing on a loop?

He'd NEVER hear a good line if he did.