BBC College of Comedy 2 Page 4

I have loads of sketches, plus I'm working on various narrative scripts.

Now I have to decide what to send. Hmmm.

It might end up being a bit Harry Hill! i.e.:

I like sketches. And I like narrative scripts. But which is better? :P

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ April 2 2009, 9:22 PM BST

I have loads of sketches, plus I'm working on various narrative scripts.

Now I have to decide what to send. Hmmm.

It might end up being a bit Harry Hill! i.e.:

I like sketches. And I like narrative scripts. But which is better? :P

You know the answer Mikey - your best stuff! Good luck.

Well, I think a sitcom pilot would probably fare better in the application than sketches, but that depends on whether I have anything suitable in my portfolio, considering I've been writing a lot of DRAMA lately.

Micheal...

Can my application script be a... well... POST-watershed sitcom?
It's got a couple of effs and wanks in it, but ONLY in context (honest!) with the storyline.
It's NOT peppered with expletives.
It's very gag heavy though with characters I'm really proud of. My funniest piece to date, in my humble.

Or would a questionable, adult-orientated submission ruin my chances?

Micheál was executive producer for *checks* 5 series of Two Pints, so I'm going to guess that there'll be no problems with something a bit cheeky.

As he said previously, your submission is meant to be reflective - an indicator - of your talent. It will not (necessarily?) be the project you go on to develop through the year, if accepted on the programme.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ April 3 2009, 1:17 AM BST

Can my application script be a... well... POST-watershed sitcom?

Well, what makes you think it couldn't be? Just send whatever you think your best work is.

Your best work, Mikey. Basically, I think Micheal (and others) want to read the funniest thing you have. It's (let's say, for the purposes of this) not going to get made, so concentrate on making them laugh. A lot.

Dan

Quote: Aaron @ April 3 2009, 2:02 AM BST

Micheál was executive producer for *checks* 5 series of Two Pints, so I'm going to guess that there'll be no problems with something a bit cheeky.

As he said previously, your submission is meant to be reflective - an indicator - of your talent. It will not (necessarily?) be the project you go on to develop through the year, if accepted on the programme.

What Aaron says. If you think it's your best work, send it in.

My advice to people would be send your worst work, then if you don't get anywhere you won't be too gutted. That's what I'm doing. Whistling nnocently

I used to apply that logic to exams; don't revise and then you have something to blame, other than a lack of ability, if you don't do well.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 3 2009, 9:53 AM BST

I used to apply that logic to exams; don't revise and then you have something to blame, other than a lack of ability, if you don't do well.

But aren't you a surgeon?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 3 2009, 9:53 AM BST

That is the logic of a banker right there.

I'm going to start circulating 'banker' as a substitute for 'wanker', as it is now a far more offensive word to the general public. All I need now is for Jonathan Ross to splurt it out on one of his shows.

Merchant banker is rhyming slang for wanker.

Quote: Marc P @ April 3 2009, 10:02 AM BST

But aren't you a surgeon?

Tree surgeon, yes. :)

Quote: Flaner @ April 3 2009, 10:23 AM BST

That is the logic of a banker right there.

It's also the logic of someone who didn't need to revise as it turns out. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 3 2009, 10:32 AM BST

Tree surgeon, yes. :)

I didn't realise you'd branched out.

I am considering sending in a slightly rejigged version of a piece of work that is going to be broadcast on MySpace and on other internet sites. Is this be allowed?