BBC College of Comedy 2 Page 6

Quote: Paul Campbell @ April 3 2009, 10:40 AM BST

I am considering sending in a slightly rejigged version of a piece of work that is going to be broadcast on MySpace and on other internet sites. Is this be allowed?

Will it have better grammar? ;)

I think it'd be good to leave out the puns and stick to the topic of the thread now please folks. Some people really are genuinely after information about the year.

Thanks.

This is a load of aesculus hippocastamum.

:D

Quote: Aaron @ April 3 2009, 4:20 PM BST

folks. Some people really are genuinely after information about the year.

Thanks.

Well it's called 2009 and it will have 12 months and it has been a rather dry spring this year. Hope that helps.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 3 2009, 4:23 PM BST

This is a load of aesculus hippocastamum.

It's aesculus hippocastanum.

I might have a crack at this. I won't get anywhere but someone might recognise my name at some point in the future and be able to say they turned down the next Galton & Simpson.

I don't have any broadcast credits, so I won't be having a go.

How much experience do you think you need? Being part of a writers team for a radio show? Having something broadcast on TV?

If you've had a sketch broadcast on TV or radio and your name in the credits, that sounds like enough.

'Applicants will have had their work broadcast; had work commissioned for development by a broadcaster or production company; or had their work performed professionally, either as a writer or a writer/performer.'

I've never had anything broadcast but am hoping to qualify under the section:

.... had work commissioned for development by a broadcaster or production company....

we shall see if that's enough.

they turned down the next Galton & Simpson.

They turned down Galton & Simpson?
Blimey! This is going to be tougher than I thought! :P
[[[ insert canned laughter here ]]]

Mikey - check out the CVs of those writers selected last year to see what they're after.

Quote: Ben @ April 3 2009, 4:42 PM BST

I don't have any broadcast credits, so I won't be having a go.

How much experience do you think you need? Being part of a writers team for a radio show? Having something broadcast on TV?

Can't you play up your RFTP stuff? I know they didn't use it, but they showed interest.

Quote: chipolata @ April 4 2009, 1:47 PM BST

Can't you play up your RFTP stuff? I know they didn't use it, but they showed interest.

Lenny Kravitz winked at me once, do you think I can sell a kiss and tell to the tabloids? ;)

Well, I've submitted mine. Let's see how this goes.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 3 2009, 6:56 PM BST

Mikey - check out the CVs of those writers selected last year to see what they're after.

To be honest, I doubt that's really going to be much of an indicator. I'd just go with the info on the Writersroom bit - if you've had anything professionally produced on some level you're eligible.

Quote: Antrax @ April 4 2009, 3:30 PM BST

Well, I've submitted mine. Let's see how this goes.

To be honest, I doubt that's really going to be much of an indicator. I'd just go with the info on the Writersroom bit - if you've had anything professionally produced on some level you're eligible.

Not of who's eligible to enter, but of the standard of the chosen applicants. I like to destroy people's dreams. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 4 2009, 4:02 PM BST

Not of who's eligible to enter, but of the standard of the chosen applicants. I like to destroy people's dreams. :)

But again, I don't think that tells us anything. It tells us the credits of the people who got through last year, and that's it.

Yes, the standard was presumably very high. But that doesn't mean that that standard can't be reached by someone with no credits whatsoever.

With the BBC sketch factor competition a few years back, it's interesting to note that of the 10 winners of the initial competition not one had written sketches before, and I imagine a lot of the other entrants had NewsRevue/Treason Show experience, so it's certainly possible for someone without much experience to do better than someone with.

Quote: Antrax @ April 4 2009, 4:17 PM BST

With the BBC sketch factor competition a few years back, it's interesting to note that of the 10 winners of the initial competition not one had written sketches before, and I imagine a lot of the other entrants had NewsRevue/Treason Show experience, so it's certainly possible for someone without much experience to do better than someone with.

True (I was a finalist in the radio writer/performer comp that ran along side is it and had only been trying to write comedy for a couple of months). But those competitions were open to anyone.

Of course anyone (with credits) can enter this and of course anything can happen. But realistically writers chosen are probably going to have considerable experience and credits.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 3 2009, 6:56 PM BST

check out the CVs of those writers selected last year to see what they're after.

Where are the CVs to be found? Had a quick butcher's on the BBC Writersroom site but they didn't leap out at me. I'd be curious to see what their (last year's intake) experience had been up to that point.