Rising Damp Page 15

Rising Damp. Image shows from L to R: Ruth Jones (Frances de la Tour), Rupert Rigsby (Leonard Rossiter), Philip Smith (Don Warrington). Copyright: Yorkshire Television.

Rising Damp

Rupert Rigsby is the grubby landlord of a seedy boarding house. His put-upon tenants include students Philip and Alan, and the glamorous Miss Jones

Teddy Paddalack

• Monday 25th February 2019, 11:26am
  • Everton, England
  • 3,360 posts

Beaky there was a suggestion of a royal birth as he suggested to Seymour not long after he got in on the ground floor on the oil in the Pennines . Herc I'm sorry 84 was a bad year for you.

Off-topic post by Hercules Grytpype Thynne on Mon 25th Feb 2019, 11:32
Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 25th February 2019, 11:26 AM

Herc I'm sorry 84 was a bad year for you.

Awww, thank you Teddy - well over all of that now, BUT not my gorgeous Jack Russell Daisy who died three years ago now and it still breaks me up. Have loads of photos and videos of her but I simply cannot bring myself to look at them - on this PC I am on now I have to be very careful what folders I open. :(

Off-topic post by Teddy Paddalack on Mon 25th Feb 2019, 11:57

Herc I work of a day on Facebook and while I don't have a page myself I can obviously see that people have their entire lives on their pages including photos etc and that they are subjected to memory jogs by Facebook and not all the memories are good ones. so at least you can be grateful for the fact that you're still in charge of how you and your computer interact when it comes to sentiment, as many now have it handled for them from Silicon Valley .

Off-topic post by Hercules Grytpype Thynne on Mon 25th Feb 2019, 12:16

I did look and consider Facebook if only to trace people I would like to get in touch with, after Friends Reunited folded which I was on; but it just looked too complicated and I couldn't be arsed at the time - glad I didn't. :)

Will Cam

• Friday 21st February 2020, 10:29pm
  • England
  • 8,068 posts

Currently (binge) rewatching Rising Damp on ITV 3. There is some 'of the time' stereotypical language but it still holds up remarkably well. I hadn't appreciated how well framed and shot it was before either.

mark taha

• Monday 6th July 2020, 11:47pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 2 posts

Thought struck me - Reggie Perrin as one of Rigsby's lodgers.

john tregorran

• Tuesday 7th July 2020, 12:39am
  • mornington,victoria, Australia
  • 1,915 posts

That would put Leonard's versatility to the test.

Alfred J Kipper

• Tuesday 7th July 2020, 9:42am
  • Aldershot, England
  • 6,515 posts

Ha yes, but if anyone could've done that it would be him. Co stars have talked about him leaving them behind with his speed of delivery and his energy. He could've got changed and into the next character before the others had finished their lines.

Michael Monkhouse

• Thursday 30th July 2020, 9:26am [Edited]
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 5,833 posts

He is fairly awesome. Shades of Rik Mayall.

Quote: Will Cam @ 21st February 2020, 10:29 PM

I hadn't appreciated how well framed and shot it was before either.

Yes, very professional. Unlike Italian shitcoms. I love the staircase moments.
Some argue that such shows are racist because they depict racist views; others argue that they are non-racist because they satirise the racist views depicted.

Off-topic post by Hercules Grytpype Thynne on Thu 30th Jul 2020, 09:34
Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 30th July 2020, 9:26 AM

Some argue that such shows are racist because they depict racist views; others argue that they are non-racist because they satirise the racist views depicted.

Sleepy

babydriver

• Thursday 30th July 2020, 11:52am
  • United Kingdom
  • 9 posts

I love Rigsby but he's not around much these days. Philip is a straight actor now. Alan is doing well on QI.

Off-topic post by Michael Monkhouse on Tue 27th Apr 2021, 15:01

Watching this series - apparently there's some kind of virus going round - and it is, in the words of Sylvia Plath, totally f**king awesome.
Googling the show, I came across a fascinating discussion on the subject of racism. To summarise my findings as briefly as possible:
Are shows like Rising Damp racist because they depict racist views, or are they non-racist because they satirise the racist views depicted?
Some argue that shows like Rising Damp are racist because they depict racist views; others hold that they are non-racist because they satirise the racist views depicted.
'Shows like Rising Damp are racist,' argues one group: 'After all, they depict racist views.' 'No,' argues the other group, They are non-racist. They satirise these racist views depicted.'
However, this argument does not convince the first group. 'These shows are racist,' they argue. 'They must be racist because they depict racist views.' But the counterarguing group counterargues its counterargument: 'Yes, these shows do depict racist views. But they are non-racist because they satirise the racist views depicted.'
What do you think? Are these shows racist because they depict racist views? Or are they non-racist because they satirise the racist views depicted?
We took this discussion onto the streets. Are shows like Rising Damp racist? They depict racist views, don't they?... Or are they non-racist because they actually satirise these racist views depicted?
Some argued that these shows are racist, and pointed to the racist views they depict, whereas others held the opposite view, arguing that they were actually satirising these racist views.
Who knows?

Michael Monkhouse

• Friday 30th April 2021, 7:59am
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 5,833 posts

Have a bit of time on my hands - apparently there's a virus - and I can't get enough of this show. Such a good character mix, really high laughter count, and impeccable performances, with Leonard stealing every scene. Also enjoyed the documentary.
There you go, I said something positive. That's that out of the way for another three decades.