Best Jimmy Perry and David Croft sitcom

Jimmy Perry and David Croft have written 4 sitcoms with each other, Dads Army, It aint Half Hot Mum, Hi De Hi and You Rang M'Lord. Which ones do you like best, here's how I rate them

1. Dads Army 10/10
2. It Aint Half Hot Mum 9.5/10
3. You Rang M'Lord 9/10
4. Hi de Hi 8/10.

Sorry - the only one I'd make a point of watching would be Dad's Army. The rest were all a bit naff really - jokes about old prices and "new" inventions wear a bit thin after a while.

1. Dads army 9/10
2. you rang M'lord 7/10
3. it aint half hot mum 6.5/10
4. hi-de-hi 5/10

1. Dad's Army - 9/10 from SlagA. 10/10 from SlagB who rates it as an all-time classic.

In my opinion (controversial with Hi-de-hi fans here, I suspect) the others are so bad as to fall into negative points. I'm currently digging a pit to fit them in at the bottom of the scale.

Haha, well, IMO they're not brilliant, and perhaps that bad in comparison to Dad's Army, but on their own merit I don't think that they're quite that bad.

1. Dads Army 4/10
2. It Aint Half Hot Mum 2/10
3. You Rang M'Lord 1/10
4. Hi de Hi 0/10.

To answer the question “Dads Army” by a country mile, Dads Army is up there with the best of them, the others are just also rans.

Largely I would say down to the excellent cast that DA had.

Dad's Army - a genuine bona fide classic

Hi-de-Hi - a curious mixture of tacky and sometimes surprisingly good (I am working from memory here, but I think it's current general reputation as 100% naff - admittedly not shared by some sitcom.co.uk voices - is wide of the mark)

IAHHM - It Ain't Half Shite Mum

You Rang M'Lord? Couldn't be Arsed to Watch it, M'Lord.

So I wasn't alone then. I was beginning to think everyone liked them all. It was the cast for Dad's Army that made it. All different fairly believable characters in a strange situation.

IAHHM was just too much of a caricature and the others were OTT.

Definitely 'Dad's Army'. The others are pretty poor.

Again, definitely DA runs away with the plaudits, one of the best ever. Should the Croft/Lloyd series be included in the line-up? Because if so 'Allo 'Allo would be up there. And possibly Are You Being Served, the first few series at any rate. Maybe that's crossing the line though but they do fall into that ' You have been watching' category.
Never really took to Hi-De-Hi, both Paul Shane and Sue Pollard irritated the arse off me.

Not really a fan of any, bit too young maybe? No point in me voting. If I had to choose a favourite though, it would probably be Dads Army.

Quote: SlagA @ April 3, 2007, 10:26 AM

1. Dad's Army - 9/10 from SlagA. 10/10 from SlagB who rates it as an all-time classic.

In my opinion (controversial with Hi-de-hi fans here, I suspect) the others are so bad as to fall into negative points. I'm currently digging a pit to fit them in at the bottom of the scale.

Pretty much my view too. Dad's Army is great, the rest...aren't.

So we're all agreed then.

The others may have been popular but they were crap.

Dad's Army rules. (I typed that after a few pints and noticed (I couldn't have been that pissed) that it said Sad's Army).

I watched three episodes of Dad's Army the other day. I think people remember it fondly because they liked the characters, not because it's particularly well made, because it isn't. It is however a great idea, and it always 'feels' better than it is, if that makes sense.

I think you Rang M'lord was probably a little bit better than the others in terms of scripts (Only going by memory here, could be compleytely wrong) but it falls down because as thaddeus says three of it's leads are actors it's not easy to be enthusiastic about – Sue pollard, Jeffrey Holland and Paul Shane. They don't really cut it compared to the Dad's Army crowd, although they probably remembered their lines better...