Not Going Out - Series 2 Page 19

Enjoyed the episode, but not as much as the baby one last week.
I still laughed out loud on a number of occasions though. Maybe I'm easy to please... or, maybe I just have a weakness for Lee Mack and find almost everything he says amusing. :$

Quote: David H @ October 6, 2007, 2:39 PM

Take 25 jokes out, add more character and it could be brilliant.

this is a joke-based show, not Friends. personally, i wouldn't enjoy more "drama". and since people involved in the production are visiting this thread, i would like to raise a question: Would you be able to sell this outside of England, since the jokes are so hard to translate? Just curious, since this is an absolutely fabulous show that i can only watch thanks to the internet.

I agree, Lee and Tim are stand ups, even though I think Lee's acting is good, to be fair he is playing himself. It's a gag based show, I still think it could be a little tighter, but it's fine as it is.

what do you mean by tighter?

Tighter plots, character development and acting from Sally, I should say comedy acting in front of a studio audience.

i think the show stands out by being different, it should not change, in my opinion. it's really a stand-up show with a little bit of a story :)

I totally agree! For me it is half an hour of pure comedy. I watch this with the sole purpose of it making me laugh and it does that! Winner! It's not perfect but then what is! As long as it's putting a smile on my face, I'm happy!

Q!

Quote: Aaron @ October 6, 2007, 7:42 PM

I just took it as Lee pissing off Guy right at the start, not that he actually came in hating him or whatever. No?

That's what I was thinking. Guy and Lee have never really got along and I wasn't surprised by any of Guy's comments about Lee. I do agree that the episode suffered from a lack of Tim Vine though. But as far as character development and plots etc are concerned, the most important thing about this show is the gags and as long as the show's got the gags, I say leave it as it is.

Wave

Lol, yeah, but my point was, I'm often distracted by Sally's awkward deliveries and frustrated by the lack of use of Lee and Tim's friendship, plus some of the supporting casts clichéd roles.

I still love the show, just a wee point I wanted to make.

Quote: pinkISH @ October 7, 2007, 12:17 AM

Would you be able to sell this outside of England, since the jokes are so hard to translate? Just curious, since this is an absolutely fabulous show that i can only watch thanks to the internet.

Well, we didn't create it with the idea of selling it abroad as our main purpose. It was intended for a home crowd.

I take the point about Tim not being in the Art episode enough. But we really wanted to ramp up the triangle between Lee, Lucy and Guy, so that the final two episodes and Christmas one had somewhere to go. Even though I am involved as a co-writer of some of the episodes, as a viewer (and I didn't see any of the episodes filmed, so I am watching it for the first time each Friday), I think Baby has been my favourite, the most successful story and execution. But really, you're the judges.

I don't know if anyone else involved in NGO reads these boards, but I personally take a lot of notice of them. And my ghostly presence here certainly doesn't seem to affect anyone's opinion, which is as it should be.

I think it's great, I love the show, especially your bits and I have to say you're quite the handsome man.

Oh there's going to be a Christmas Special! That's good news, otherwise for Christmas comedy we would've just been stuck with the Extras Christmas Special...eugh.

Friday's show was okay but I think maybe my least favourite of the series, like others have said not enough Tim and I really don't like the Barbara character, I think she's a one joke character, which is a shame. Saying that though it still gave me a good few laughs, so can't complain too much.

She's the Kramer character ;)

Quote: Leevil @ October 8, 2007, 4:48 PM

She's the Kramer character ;)

How dare you! :P

Kramer was a lot more than a guy who fell over, he was a great visual and slapstick performer, his character also complimented the others well because in his own crazy way he was really the most compassionate, whereas Jerry, George and Elaine would sell anyone down the river to get something they wanted. :)

what i've come to realise is that everyone's taste in comedy is different.
i hate the cleaner character - she is one gag and badly acted (just my opinion).
but my mrs cracks up whenever a pot gets smashed or plug socket is pulled out.
it takes all sorts.